This 25-Minute Vegan Okra Curry is authentic, rich, creamy, and packed with flavor! Made with okra, freshly ground spices, and tomatoes.
Okras are an ingredient I don’t often cook with. However, I like to familiarize myself with as many ingredients as possible and try as many new things. I like to experiment and try new flavors – it’s my passion, it’s my inner chef.
I saw fresh okras on the last farmers market I went to – and thought, I need to get some and create a dish with them.
They have a unique taste, and I think they need some flavor and a bit of love and attention. So I thought – what better than a curry?
I got some tricks under my sleeve for a quick punchy, flavorsome curry – the secret is in the spices!
I like to toast and grind my own spices rather than using pre-ground ones. However to make this recipe easier and even quicker, feel free to use pre-ground spices.
It’s important that you do not burn the spices when you toast them, otherwise, you will end up with bitter-tasting curry.
How To Make Vegan Okra Curry:
You will need a couple of spices that you will need to toast, then grind using a pestle and mortar.
The spice mix is then fried quickly then tomatoes, okra, and coconut milk is added.
Everything is simmered for a bit then it’s served. It’s that simple.
I like to serve this okra curry with my gluten-free vegan naan bread!
More Vegan Curry Recipes:
Anyway! Do let me know how you found this 25-Minute Vegan Okra Curry if you try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
25-Minute Vegan Okra Curry
- 1 1/4 cups/200g of fresh okra washed, trimmed & roughly diced
- 2- medium sized juicy tomatoes washed and chopped
- 1 cup/220ml of coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp of coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1/3 tsp of fennel seeds
- 1 clove of garlic - minced
- 2 tbsp of freshly minced ginger
- 1 tsp of sea salt flakes
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 4 tbsp of tomato purée
- Toast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and fennel seeds for 1 minute on a hot dry pan.
- Then add the toasted spices to a pestle and mortar with the sea salt, paprika, ginger and garlic and mince everything together. (If using pre-ground spices, ignore these first 2 steps)
- Heat the olive oil in a pan - then add the minced spices and cook for 30 seconds. Add the tomato purée and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and okra.
- Stir fry everything on a medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and 2-3 tbsp of water and lower the heat.
- Summer for 2-3 minutes until it thickens.
- Serve and enjoy!