This 3-Ingredient Healthy Vegan Protein Chocolate Mousse and velvety mouse is made from just a tin of white beans and very dark chocolate. It’s absolutely vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, and no nasty stuff in it.
You probably know that beans are high on protein, but I bet you would be surprised if I told you, that dark chocolate has good protein content too. SO we have mixed 2 protein ingredients together that taste good and are filling.
This protein mousse recipe uses cannellini, a type of haricot bean, but any white bean can be used. It’s the same variety of bean that is used to make baked beans. Other beans like butter beans or chickpeas work well but do give a different flavour.
If you don’t have an electronic whisk you can just blend altogether (beans, bean juice, and chocolate) the vegan mousse ingredients then leave to set. I tried several times to perfect the recipe and the blender alone method is good, but the mouse isn’t quite as foamy or fluffy.
I know it probably sounds gross combining beans and chocolate, but it works well. Especially if you are looking at consuming more protein with every meal (even snacks or desserts)
Do let me know how you found this 3-Ingredient Healthy Vegan Protein Chocolate Mousse if you do try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Also, I would really appreciate it if you check out my very first E-Book, it’s a 70-page book, full of beautiful, easy, and delicious vegan recipes! Click HERE to find out more!
More Healthy Vegan Desserts:
3-Ingredient Healthy Vegan Protein Chocolate Mousse
- Blender/food processor
- Electric whisk
- 5.3 oz / 150g Dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1 can/tin White beans/cannellini 400ml / 14oz
- Melt most of the chocolate in a bowl over hot water, leave enough chocolate to grate for a topping.
- Pour the beans into a sieve with a bowl below to catch all the bean juice.
- Whisk the bean juice with an electronic whisk for a few minutes while the chocolate melts.
- Add the beans, and maple syrup to the melted chocolate and blend together in a jug blender or food processor. You may have to scrape down the sides several times.
- Continue to whisk the bean juice (AKA aquafaba) until stiff peaks are formed, this takes about 8-10 mins in total with an electric whisk.
- Stiff peaks are when you can turn the bowl upside down and the mixture doesn’t move. With aquafaba you don’t need to worry about over-whisking.
- Fold the chocolate bean mixture into the aquafaba then pour it into 4 small glass dishes.
- Chill for an hour then sprinkle the mousse with grated chocolate.
- Keep the protein mousse in the fridge and enjoy within 3 days.