30-Minute Curried Vegan Peanut Vegetable Stew, satisfying, healthy, hearty, what more can you ask from a stew? It has got nutty notes in there, creaminess, sweetness, it’s also pretty filling for a low-calorie dish!
It’s getting pretty hot out here. Baking and standing near the stove for too long are not fun. So what to do with the sweet potatoes if not bake them? Make them into a quick curry.
This is a simple Sweet Potato, Veggie, and Pea curry with Peanut butter sauce. Sweet potato works really well with the nut butter and this sweet-savory stew is a perfectly satisfying meal as well as satisfies the summer sweet craving.
In summer, I prefer fewer spices in the stews, so I added a bit of Grama Masala and Cumin. Curry powder, Berbere, harissa, and cajun spice blend also work well in this curry. Add the spices you prefer towards the end with the peas and adjust to preference. This curry is a great base to build upon with additional vegetables, beans, spices, and flavor.
Turn it into a soup with additional water or broth and serve it hot or cold. Add some chickpeas or lentils to make it hearty. 1 Pot, easy and makes a great dinner.
Do let me know how you found this 30-Minute Curried Vegan Peanut Vegetable Stew if you do try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Also, I would really appreciate it if you check out my very first E-Book, it’s a 70-page book, full of beautiful, easy, and delicious vegan recipes! Click HERE to find out more!
30-Minute Curried Vegan Peanut Vegetable Stew
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup 80 g chopped onion
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1- inch ginger minced
- 1 cup 100 g cauliflower florets
- 1/2 0.5 bell pepper green or red chopped
- 1 small sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1/2 tsp 0.5 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp peanut butter or other nut butter or sun butter to make it nut-free
- 1 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tsp sugar or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp 0.5 tsp distilled white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp 0.25 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp 0.25 tsp pepper flakes
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 cup 226 ml or more light coconut milk for creamier stew
- 1/2 cup 72.5 g peas thawed if frozen
- black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- lemon juice and cayenne
- basil and peanuts for garnish
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent. Fold in the ginger.
- Add peppers, cauliflower, sweet potato, and a dash of black pepper and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the peas and the spices and mix well. It will take a few minutes for the nut butter to incorporate. Partially cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the sweet potato is fork-tender. (You can also add a cup of cooked chickpeas or lentils at this time or fold in some kale now or spinach with the peas).
- Taste and adjust salt, sweet, and heat. Add a dash of lemon and cayenne if needed.
- Add in the peas. Simmer for another few minutes if needed or until the vegetables are cooked to preference. Adjust consistency if needed with more water or nondairy milk.
- Serve over rice or grains or with toasted pita bread/flatbread. Add some more water during simmering to serve as soup. It can be served hot or cold. I usually garnish with basil or cilantro, pepper flakes, and peanuts
Freezes well too, for up to a month.