This 5-Minute Healthy Mashed Avocado & Chickpea Salad is the perfect healthy lunch or dinner! This easy smashed chickpea salad can be eaten as a sandwich or served on greens, rice cakes, toast, or eaten as a dip with crackers or veggies!
I love avocados, and I love chickpeas…so I was thinking of a way to incorporate them together in one meal.
So I thought mixing both ingredients together with a few spices and herbs should come out really nicely…and it did!
So, because I also love carbs, I decided to stuff the mixture between two slices of my homemade bread I had leftover and it came out a treat!
This mashed chickpea and avocado is also great as a dip for veggies, crackers, and pita chips. It is WFPB, vegan, and gluten-free as long as you use gluten free-bread or serve as a dip with veggies or gluten-free crackers.
If you are looking for a quick and healthy lunch idea, this recipe is for you. It is one of my favorite sandwiches and I hope you like it too!
What is your favorite lunch to-go?
Let me know! I seem to be pretty busy lately during lunchtime and I need new ideas for healthy filling lunch ideas! Help a gal out!
Do let me know how you found this 5-Minute Healthy Mashed Avocado & Chickpea Salad if you try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Easy Healthy Mashed Avocado & Chickpea Salad
- 1 15 ounce can/400g chickpeas or garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning
- 2 pinches or more of chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bread of your choice I use whole wheat bread
- Fresh spinach leaves or other sandwich toppings: lettuce tomato slices sprouts, etc.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Place on a paper towel and remove the outer skins. You can leave them on, but I like to remove them.
- In a medium bowl, using a fork or potato masher smash the chickpeas and avocado together. Add in cilantro, green onion, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spread salad on bread and top with your favorite sandwich toppings. I like to add fresh spinach leaves.
- Note: This salad also makes a great dip. Serve with cut up veggies, crackers, or pita chips. Also, this salad is best eaten the day it is made because it will turn brown due to the avocado.