This Best Ever Vegan 25-Minute Bolognese is a Hearty vegan bolognese sauce made with walnuts, mushrooms, and lentils for a super satisfying, high protein and deliciously textured bolognese.
I try really hard to restrain myself from claiming this is the best ever ( it’s hard tho, cos I think most of the recipes I create are the BOMB ) But anyway, back to reality, I try to rarely use the term ‘best-ever’.
But I could NOT resist to use it today, because honestly, this recipe is DOPE!
I dare you to try it, and I know you will believe me.
Bolognese used to be a favorite of mine, and I have been craving badly the past couple of days, so why not recreate the dish using only natural vegan ingredients? The result I have to say – surprised me because I did not expect it to be so freaking TASTY!
It is a mix of walnuts, mushrooms, lentils, tomatoes, and spices. Served with some pasta it is the most delicious vegan spaghetti bolognese you’ve ever had!
It’s also really easy to make. I wanted it to be really hearty and filling, and it is. It’s also really thick and ‘meaty’. Yes, I went there. It’s ‘meaty’ without being actually meaty.
Mushrooms are known for their ‘meaty’ texture and the mushrooms combined with the lentils and the walnuts really create that great bolognese texture.
This Vegan Bolognese Sauce Itself is Gluten-Free!
Of course, if you use tamari sauce instead of the soy sauce I have recommended below, you get a gluten-free deliciousness that you can serve over rice, as a side with a salad, or anything you fancy. Doesn’t have to be over pasta.
The sauce keeps well in the fridge, I had it over 5 days, as I made a big batch ( which brings me to the suggestion that you can always double the recipe ) and it was fine!
Do let me know how you found this Best Ever Vegan 25-Minute Bolognese if you try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Best Ever Vegan 25-Minute Bolognese
- 1/2 cup/ 50g Walnuts Finely Chopped
- 9 oz/250g Mushrooms Ideally brown
- 1/2 15 oz 215g Can Brown Lentils (Drained)
- 1 medium-sized onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce or use tamari sauce for GF option
- 1/4 cup/ 65gTomato Paste
- 1/2 14 oz 200ml Can chopped tomatoes or fresh diced tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place the walnuts into the food processor and process until finely chopped and then add to a mixing bowl.
- Add the mushrooms to the food processor and process until finely chopped and add to the mixing bowl.
- Add the drained lentils to the mixing bowl.
- Mix up the walnuts, mushrooms, and lentils together.
- Add the chopped onion and olive oil to a frying pan and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Then add in your /walnut/mushroom/lentil mix along with crushed garlic, dried basil, oregano, cayenne pepper, and dark soy sauce and stir fry for a couple of minutes letting the bolognese cook off some of the water, so it’s not too wet.
- Then add in the tomato paste and crushed tomatoes and keep frying for a few minutes until you reach a good consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over Pasta with fresh basil.