The Best Roasted Carrots And Parsnips are done with a touch of sweetness and some heat from some chili flakes….oh and throw some love in there too and there you have it – the Best Roasted Carrots And Parsnips! They are perfect for your Christmas table or your Sunday roast!
Now, the technic is simple; we need to mildly blanch our root veggies in salted water, just to soften them up a bit, but we don’t want them cooked and mushy, we just need to soften them a bit, the oven will finish them.
After they are blanched, it’s important that we put them in a hot baking tray with hot oil, because what this does is it starts caramelizing them immediately. If you put them in a cold tray with cold oil, it will start slow and will end up boiling them rather than roast-caramelize them.
Now drizzle some maple syrup and sprinkle some chili flakes; these two ingredients will complement the root vegetables perfectly. Mix them well and put them in a hot oven to crisp them up quickly, then we reduce the heat and cook them gently. We want them nice and caramelized, that’s why we start them in a hot oven.
500g of Carrots
500g of Parsnips
2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon of dried chili flakes
2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
1/2 bunch of thyme
Preheat oven to 220c and put a baking tray with the olive oil in the oven.
1. Peel and cut the root vegetables in half in a vertical line, then each half cut in half again in a vertical straight line. Then put the cut vegetables in a deep pan with cold water and gently bring it to the boil. Boil the vegetables for about 7-8 minutes, or until ‘al-dente’ ( still firm to bite, not fully cooked )
2. Once the root vegetables are al-dente, drain them and put them in the hot tray with the olive oil. Add the maple syrup, the chili flakes, the thyme and a pinch of salt and mix well ( be careful though, the baking tray will be very hot )Once mixed well, put the tray back in the oven for 20 minutes.
3. After 20 minutes, turn the root vegetables on the other side and reduce the oven to 190c. Cook for another 20 minutes or until golden and crispy.
Why not try some of our other recipes that can complement your roasted root vegetables? See below:
–> The Easiest Best Roast Potatoes
— > The Perfect Brussels Sprouts
- Vegan Keto Sushi Roll - 25 February 2023
- Vegan Mushroom Tomato Pasta [One Pot] - 18 February 2023
- Here’s How Vegans Get Calcium [11 Ways] - 14 February 2023