A delicious Comforting Vegan Butter Bean Stew, made from scratch using dried beans. Cooking your beans, instead of adding pre-cooked ones, really does bring a better flavor and heartiness.
I was born in a country called Bulgaria – this dish is called “Bob Qhnia” in my native language. This stew brings so many good childhood memories. I grew up eating this stew, in fact, it was one of the first things I learned how to cook. I had never used pre-cooked beans until I moved to the UK. Hence the reason why this recipe is made from scratch using dried beans. I just wanted you to have a taste of the authentic bean stew I had as a child.
Cooking the beans from scratch can be a bit time-consuming, but it is worth it. Adding extra love and time to your cooking always pays off 😉
It’s important that you soak your beans in water in advance before you cook them. This will help them cook faster and make them easier for your stomach to digest.
Of course, you can use pre-cooked butter beans, and that will cut the cooking time by more than a half, but I do recommend you follow the recipe the traditional way!
Do let me know how you found this Comforting Vegan Butter Bean Stew you do try them though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Gluten-Free Vegan Butter Bean Stew
- 2 1/2 cups/500g of dried butter beans
- 1 large carrot peeled and grated
- 2 to matoes chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 3 tbsp of smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp of corn-flour/starch
- 1/2 bunch of mint leaves picked and chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- To Serve:
- Chili Flakes
- Crusty Bread
- Soak the beans in water and leave them overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- Strain them, and add enough water to cover the beans.
- Simmer on medium heat for 35 minutes. They should be semi-soft/al-dente. Turn the heat to low.
- Heat the oil in a pan, and add the onions and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the paprika, cook for 1 minute then add the carrots and tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes and add the mixture to the bean pot.
- In a bowl, add the cornflour and 5 tbsp of water and mix.
- Add the cornflour mix onto the bean pot and stir. It should thicken it, add the salt and mix. Simmer the pot for 5 minutes, then take it off the heat. Add the chopped mint leaves and serve in bowls sprinkled with chili flakes and crusty bread.
Nutritional values are based on the stew only, not the added crusty bread!
- Building Muscle on a Vegan Diet: A Comprehensive Guide to Meal Planning & Macros - 11 April 2023
- Vegan Keto Sushi Roll - 25 February 2023
- Vegan Mushroom Tomato Pasta [One Pot] - 18 February 2023