These Crispy Aubergine & Chickpea Nuggets With Harissa Dip are so delicious, crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle. The harissa dip compliments them so well, a bit of kick with the spice and the coolness of the coconut yogurt works like a dream together with the hot crispy nuggets.
You can use these for a buffet, canapes or simply as a snack. You can also top them on your salad, or a wrap!
They have got a good amount of protein and fiber in them!
I do love these a lot because they are healthy and delicious, not to mention they are really versatile. I have put them on pretty much anything, they work well on a lot of dishes. Even used them as dumplings in a stew once ( that was a bit cheeky haha) But it worked great! 😀
It’s really easy to make them too, simply roast the aubergine, then scoop out the flesh, and combine the rest of the ingredients and mash well. Shape into bites, chill in the fridge, roll them in some polenta ( it helps them crisp up more) and bake in the oven for about half an hour! That’s it!
Makes 14 bites
Each bite contains 51 calories
2x 400g of tinned(cans) of chickpeas, drained
3 large aubergines halved, cut side scored spray oiled
2 fat garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
2 teaspoons of dried coriander
1 lemon, ½ zested and juice, ½ cut into wedges to serve (optional)
2 teaspoons of cumin
2 tablespoons of gram flour(chickpea flour)
3 tablespoons of fine polenta
salt to taste
For the dip:
1 tablespoon of harissa paste
150g coconut dairy-free yogurt
pinch of salt
1. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Spray the aubergine halves generously with oil, then put them cut-side up in a large roasting tin with the garlic, coriander and cumin seeds. Season, then roast for 40 mins until the aubergine is completely tender. Set aside to cool a little.
2. Scoop the aubergine flesh into a bowl and discard the skins. Use a spatula to scrape the spices and garlic into the bowl.
3. Add the chickpeas, gram flour, lemon zest and juice, roughly mash together and check the seasoning. Don’t worry if the mix is a bit soft – it will firm up in the fridge.
4. Shape the mixture into 14 balls and put them on a baking tray lined with baking parchment, then leave to chill in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
5. Swirl the harissa through the yogurt and salt and set aside. Can make ahead to this point the day before and kept covered in the fridge.
6. Heat oven to 200c/180c fan/gas 5. Tip the polenta onto a plate, roll the balls in it to coat, then return them to the tray and spray each one with a little oil.
7. Roast for 35-40 mins turning them on the other side halfway through the bake until crisp, hot and golden. Serve with the harissa yogurt and lemon wedges, if you like.
Enjoy these Crispy Aubergine & Chickpea Nuggets With Harissa Dip hot or cold!
- Vegan Keto Sushi Roll - 25 February 2023
- Vegan Mushroom Tomato Pasta [One Pot] - 18 February 2023
- Here’s How Vegans Get Calcium [11 Ways] - 14 February 2023