This Easy Creamy Vegan White Sauce (Nut-Free) will be a true lifesaver! All the dishes you missed, that contained white sauce, such as lasagne, mac & and cheese and so many more, are about to be in the past after you try this white sauce!
If you want a dynamic sauce to use when you want to make something quick and easy, tasty, and creamy, this sauce is wonderful. You can then add different herbs and spices to change things up depending on what you’re making.
I made it clear, that this recipe is nut-free, as I know a lot of vegan white sauces out there contain cashew nuts – to achieve this extra creaminess…but I tried to stick to the classic way of how I used to make Bechamel (aka white sauce). Also, there are plenty of people out there who are allergic to nuts or simply avoid them.
One thing that I was worried about when I changed to a vegan diet was that I wouldn’t be able to have a white sauce in anything ever again. I know this sounds dramatic, but it kind of was for me.
The smooth, rich texture of cheese melting in my mouth with whatever I was eating it with was a feeling I thought wouldn’t be part of my future.
It took me a good part of a year to realize that I could make a vegan version of a creamy white sauce and make it taste great! I knew that nutritional yeast was a vegan type of “cheese” to sprinkle on so many different things instead of dairy cheeses.
Why you’ll love this vegan bechamel sauce
Well I mean, I think everyone loves bechamel sauce, but if you needed some more convincing than here are just a few reasons:
- It’s very easy and quick to whip up
- It is incredibly versatile and can be used in many different ways (more on that below)
- Elevates your recipes
- It’s classy – people will think you’re a real chef or something 😉
Tips for making the best sauce
A few key pointers to make sure that you mix up the best possible vegan bechamel are:
- A pinch of nutmeg goes a long way! 😉
- Use a heavy-bottomed saucepan to help prevent sticking
- Whisk and whisk until your arms fall off – this will help you achieve that perfect silky smooth consistency. 😀
Do let me know how you found this Easy Creamy Vegan White Sauce (Nut-Free) if you do try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Also, I would really appreciate it if you check out my very first E-Book, it’s a 70-page book, full of beautiful, easy, and delicious vegan recipes! Click HERE to find out more!
Easy Creamy Vegan White Sauce (Nut-Free)
- 3 heaped tbsp. of vegan butter
- 6 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 4 1/2 cups oat milk
- 1 teaspoon of salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
- Melt your butter on low heat in a medium-sized pot. Once melted, add your flour, stir till a ball or more lumpy consistency appears. Cook the flour for a few minutes.
- Now, slowly add your milk ( in batches, never at once, otherwise you will get a lumpy sauce) and whisk aggressively while cooking on medium-high heat (the whole process should take around 20 minutes). Stir till you’ve added all your milk and a more silky smooth sauce comes together.
- Add the nutritional yeast, and nutmeg, and stir even more! At the last minute season to taste, remove from heat and set aside.
Once cooled, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
It can be frozen too, for up to a month!
- Building Muscle on a Vegan Diet: A Comprehensive Guide to Meal Planning & Macros - 11 April 2023
- Vegan Keto Sushi Roll - 25 February 2023
- Vegan Mushroom Tomato Pasta [One Pot] - 18 February 2023
Cath23 February 2022 at 15h42
This is a great white sauce! So glad to find the nut-free bechamel
Elena23 February 2022 at 16h54
So pleased you like the recipe!