These Easy Fluffy Vegan Scones are fluffy, sweet, satisfying, and are ideally topped with jam and vegan whipped cream!
Some of the most popular scone recipes I found whilst researching don’t contain eggs in any case, and butter and milk are so easy to replace with excellent vegan alternatives that these taste identical to the very finest homemade scones.
What’s the secret to light, fluffy scones?
- Cold butter ideally straight out of the fridge.
- When you’re rubbing the butter/spread into the flour, don’t overdo it, just rub the butter in until it’s just combined.
- Bring it together with your hands but don’t overwork the dough. The less you handle it the better.
- Roll it out thickly, 2-3 cm thick.
- When you cut it, be careful not to twist the cutter as you lift it out of the scone dough or your scones will bake squint, instead of straight up
Which shape should a scone be?ROUND!
Traditionally, the scones in the UK are round, the scones in USA are triangle shapes. Always cut scones with a round cutter. It can be plain or fluted but has to be a circle cutter.
If you want triangle scones, bake one large bannock and cut into triangles. Baked triangles of scones are almost always going to be an uneven bake, quite hard at the tip and lighter at the base, Round is definitely the best option for a light bake all the way through. But that’s just my opinion. Don’t want to offend anyone.
Calories in Scones:I’ve worked out the calories per scone.
6 large scones = 258 calories each
8 fairly large scones = 193 calories each
10 medium scones = 155 calories each
12 small scones = 123 calories each
Adding dairy-free spread and jam will, of course, add calories.
Do let me know how you found these Easy Fluffy Vegan Scones if you do try them though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
If you like all the work I have put in and the content in this blog, then you can go even further in showing me your love and support by subscribing to my Patreon account (https://www.patreon.com/vegevega)
Each of the tiers will give you exclusive benefits ( so you will get a good value for your money )
It’s my passion and it’s my life’s purpose to encourage people to join me in this journey of a kind, healthy, and happy life!
I will appreciate deeply any contribution big or small; it will enable me to grow and develop my site, as well as develop exciting new recipes for you guys!
Easy Fluffy Vegan Scones
- 2.7 cup/300g Self-Rasing Flour
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 4 Tbsp of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 100 g of butter I used flora
- About 50ml of dairy-free milk
- 2 handfuls of sultanas/raisins/chocolate chips/vegan cheese (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients until it forms breadcrumbs at this point add in ( cherries, sultanas, chocolate chips, cheese, or just leave plain. )
- Pour the dairy-free milk in enough so it’s all binded together and you can roll it out. About 2 cm thick.
- Using a cutter, cut the round scones and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Brush the top with some extra dairy-free milk.
- Cook in a preheated oven 350F/180C/gas 6 for about 15/20 mins. Until golden, but all ovens vary.