Mashed Easy Healthy Filling Mashed Chickpea Salad is quick, easy, healthy and customizable, it’s a perfect sandwich or wraps filler and great on a bed of leafy greens!
To my WFPB friends! I just wanted to share a tried and true recipe that I love, and made a large batch of for lunches this week – it’s one of those things that tastes better a day or two later….it usually doesn’t last longer than that, we eat it right up! So good on salads, whole grain bread, whatever you like! So flavorful, filling, and my non- WFPB friends gobble it up. I put extra celery, onion and I add chopped dill pickles when I have it on bread….drool.
This chickpea salad reminds me very much of a potato or egg salad and it used to be one of my favorite to-go lunches. I ate it all the time and figured it was about time to add this versatile smashed chickpea salad to the recipe collection!
Typically, when I make a batch, I’ll graze on it for most of the day. It’s completely satisfying and tastes great while giving me more than half of my required protein and fiber for the day!
MASHED CHICKPEA SALAD INGREDIENTS:
The ingredients can be changed up to suit your taste and keep it interesting!
- Chickpeas – Use canned or fresh cooked garbanzo beans.
- Celery – Great for a cool crunchiness
- Carrots – I used baby carrots, but of course, larger carrots are great too.
- Scallions – Try red onion in its place for variation.
- Hummus, tahini – If using hummus or tahini, I highly recommend adding a few tablespoons of water to thin it, making for a wonderfully creamy texture.
- Mustard – Use Dijon or whole-grain (I forgot to add the mustard to the picture above, but it’s in the recipe)
- Garlic powder – For good measure, add a nice flavor.
- Lemon – I love lemon on just about anything, it adds brightness and zing.
- Add diced red bell pepper, for crunch and color.
- Vary it up by adding olives, capers, sweet pickle relish, etc. Maybe not all together, but pick and choose.
Do let me know how you found this Easy Healthy Filling Mashed Chickpea Salad if you do try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Also, I would really appreciate if you check out my very first E-Book, it’s a 70-page book, full of beautiful, easy, and delicious vegan dishes! Click HERE to find out more!
Easy Healthy Filling Mashed Chickpea Salad
- 1 can/tin 15 oz chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup celery sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots diced
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup scallions sliced
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup or so hummus or tahini + 2 – 3 tablespoons water
- 1 – 2 tablespoons mustard stoneground or dijon
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- sea salt & cracked pepper to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
- paprika/smoked paprika to garnish
- Bread to make a sandwich with the chickpes filing I used my homemade one
- Gherkins to put in the sandwich
- Lettuce for the sandwich
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas, place in a medium-size bowl and roughly mash about 3/4 of the chickpeas with a fork, potato masher or pastry blender. Add the remaining ingredients and combine. Add more hummus if you like it creamier and taste for seasoning.
- Serve however you like – make a chickpea salad sandwich, serve on a bed of leafy greens or scoop up with crackers or sliced vegetables like cucumbers, bell peppers, celery sticks, etc.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 – 6 days.
- *If you find your hummus is a bit thick, thin it out with 2 – 3 tablespoons of water, you may find you need 1 more tablespoon. I always do this with my humus when using it as a binder. This will make for a perfect consistency to use as a binder without being overly thick and/or drying as well.
- Try using diced red onion for a little different color.
- Add in diced red bell pepper for crunch and color.
- Vegan Keto Sushi Roll - 25 February 2023
- Vegan Mushroom Tomato Pasta [One Pot] - 18 February 2023
- Here’s How Vegans Get Calcium [11 Ways] - 14 February 2023