Easy Healthy Oil & Gluten-Free Black Bean Burgers, that are super quick to make, require only a couple of ingredients and taste amazing! They have a good dose of protein and fibre in them, making them an incredibly good plant-based meal.
Store-bought vegan burgers are almost always a disappointment so I usually cut out the middle man and make my own. These Easy Healthy Oil & Gluten-Free Black Bean Burgers are one of my favourites. They have become a reader favourite too and this recipe does consistently well, all year round.
HOW TO USE BLACK BEANS:
I always have black beans on hand at home. They are a really versatile ingredient and I think my favourite kind of bean. I think out of all the beans they have the most flavour and they are incredibly versatile.
They are great for making burritos, spicy black beans, salads, chocolate brownies and of course burgers.
These Vegan Black Bean Burgers are incredibly easy to make and you don’t need any special equipment. Just a potato masher and your hands. It couldn’t be more simple and I think just about everyone owns a potato masher!
Mashup those beans but keep them a bit chunky for texture…
Add the other ingredients and mix well…
Refrigerate to firm…
Shape into patties…
LET’S MAKE SOME BURGERS!!!
Do let me know how you found these Easy Healthy Oil & Gluten-Free Black Bean Burgers if you do try them though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Also, I would really appreciate it if you check out my very first E-Book, it’s a 70-page book, full of beautiful, easy, and delicious vegan recipes! Click HERE to find out more!
Easy Healthy Oil & Gluten-Free Black Bean Burgers
- 2 cups / 340 g cooked black beans drained and rinsed
- 4 green onions chopped finely
- 1 lime zest and juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes optional
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup / 4 tablespoons ground flaxseed or bread crumbs would also work
- 1 handful cilantro chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of water to help bind
- Add beans to a large bowl and mash roughly with a potato masher (but not too much).
- Add all of the other ingredients and mix well (I find clean hands are the best tool for this), making sure everything is well combined. Taste the mixture to check to season and add more if necessary.
- Refrigerate for about 15 minutes. This helps it firm up a little and makes it easier to shape the burgers.
- The mixture might be a bit sticky but should come together well. Shape into 4 balls, pressing them together really really firmly then using the palm of your hand press down on the top of each one to make it a burger shape. If they crack a bit just press them gently back together. If you struggle to shape them because you feel the mixture is too sticky then add a few more tablespoons of flax or some bread crumbs and leave for a few minutes to let it absorb some moisture before attempting to shape again.
- Put the burgers on a lined tray and bake them in the oven on 375°F/180C until heated through and a bit crusty on the outside (about 30 minutes).
Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
Once hot add the burgers making sure there is plenty of space around each one to enable you to flip them later. If you can't fit them all in, have your oven on low (300 degrees F/155C), and once the first ones are done keep them warm in there until the rest are ready.
Fry them for about 5 minutes each side or until a nice golden crust forms.