This amazing Easy Healthy Quinoa Black Bean & Sweet Potato Salad is the PERFECT lunch or dinner. Packed with fiber, protein, and flavor you’re going to LOVE it!
This salad is ideal for meal prep, and to make it ahead of time and box it up for the week ahead!
I have a confession to make – I have been going off the rails recently, and have been eating a bit too much junk food, but today It’s all about this salad to get me back on track. With chili roasted sweet potatoes, earthy black beans, nutty quinoa, crunchy lettuce, and a creamy avocado-cilantro/coriander dressing, it’s got everything you need to make salad the star of your meal.
Personally, I’m a big fan of making salads for dinner. I think it’s fun to change things up; swap in different ingredients, add a variety of protein sources and just go a little wild. Salads are one of those meals you can really play around with.
But what I love most about salad is that it’s simple. It’s not fussy, or overly complicated. It’s just veggies on top of veggies on top of veggies, sometimes drizzled in an ultra-creamy and decadent sauce, or in my case, siracha sauce! Please don’t judge me, I love my food with a bit of a kick ha!
Yeah, a crunchy veggie salad definitely sounds like my kind of meal to kick off the healthy track.
Right, shall we make this salad or what? 😀
Just before we start, please do let us know how you found this Easy Healthy Quinoa Black Bean & Sweet Potato Salad, and if you do like what you are seeing and tasting, do subscribe to our newsletter to keep getting yummy vegan recipes, or check out our Facebook page!
♥ Thank you ♥
1kg of sweet potatoes
2x 15 oz cans/tin/s400g drained black beans
6 cups cooked quinoa made from 1 cup/340g of dry quinoa
1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
2 teaspoons chili powder or chili flakes
Juice of 1 lime
Salt + pepper
Lettuce/greens to serve
Cilantro/coriander-Avocado Dressing: ( optional )
1/2 cup/75g cashews
Juice of 2 limes
1/2 bunch of cilantro/coriander
1/2 – 3/4 /80g cup water
Salt + pepper to taste
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cayenne optional
Preheat the oven to 425F/200C.
1. Wash and chop the sweet potato in small, bite-sized pieces. Melt the coconut oil and drizzle it over the sweet potatoes. Toss to coat. Add in chili powder and sprinkle with salt and pepper, tossing to combine.
2. Roast sweet potatoes for 20 – 25 minutes until tender, stirring halfway through so as not to burn them.
While the sweet potatoes are cooking, rinse and drain the black beans. Add them to a large bowl along with quinoa. Set aside.
3. If you decide to make the avocado dressing, add all dressing ingredients to a blender (starting with less water and adding more as needed). Blend on high until smooth and creamy. Add enough water to make it drizzle.
4. Once sweet potatoes are done roasting, let them cool for 5 minutes. Add to the bowl with black beans and quinoa. Squeeze lime juice over the top and stir to combine.
5. Arrange lettuce in 4 bowls Top with sweet potato-black bean mixture and drizzle with dressing. Enjoy as-is or toss everything together in the bowls (I did this and it was yum!).
Calories: 539kcal per portion if using the avocado dressing | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 612mg | Potassium: 1099mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 5280IU | Vitamin C: 21.2mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 6.1mg