Now this Easy Healthy Red Lentil And Spinach Curry is the ultimate comfort food for cold days! Who doesn’t like a bit of spice and warmth! I love this dish so much, I think it’s mainly because I love lentils, and oh boy I love spices!! I love serving it with our easy homemade Vegan Naan bread because the dish itself is slightly more ‘stewy’ like, so having some dry side to serve it with – simply complements it perfectly!
Now, if you like it a bit more spicy, don’t deseed your red chilli, it will make it spicier! But if you don’t want it too spicy, simply deseed the chilli, and you can even only use half of it.
It’s important that you cook your spices before adding the liquid; this will help them release more flavour!
Also, if you like the coconut to come through more intensely, I would recommend you use full-fat coconut milk, but of course, it’s a bit more fatty, so if you want to make it slightly lighter, simply use a low-fat one!
How To Make Spinach And Lentil Dhal:
The method is very simple. The onion is cooked, then the garlic and ginger are added with the spices. Cook up the spices for a couple of minutes, then the tomatoes are added and cooked for another 5 minutes.
Finally, coconut milk + water is added, and the curry is simmered until the lentils are cooked.
The curry is seasoned with some salt and spinach is added.
More Vegan Curried Recipes:
1. 25-Minute Vegan Okra Curry
2. Easy Vegan Curried Mashed Eggplant
3. Fluffy Gluten-Free Vegan Naans
Do let me know how you found this Easy Healthy Red Lentil And Spinach Curry recipe if you try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Easy Healthy Red Lentil And Spinach Curry
- 1 cup/200g of red lentils
- 1 tablespoon of olive or coconut oil
- A medium-sized white onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1- inch fresh ginger or thumb-sized, peeled and diced as finely as possible
- 1 small red hot chilli finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of medium curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried coriander
- 4 small tomatoes chopped
- 1 can/400g of unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 2-3 handfuls/80g of washed baby spinach
- In a large pot heat the oil. Saute the onion over medium-high heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, the chilli, cumin, garam masala, and coriander, curry powder. Cook until very fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Carefully pour in the tomatoes and scraping up any brown bits that formed on the bottom of the pan if any. Cook, stirring occasionally until the liquid has reduced and the tomato chunks have softened about 6 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and 100ml of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the lentils and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until the lentils are tender, 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the lentils from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Add the salt.
- Fold in the spinach and cook until wilted, 3 minutes, Adjust the seasoning if needed, more salt or spices.
- Serve this easy curry alongside rice and with or naan.
- Building Muscle on a Vegan Diet: A Comprehensive Guide to Meal Planning & Macros - 11 April 2023
- Vegan Keto Sushi Roll - 25 February 2023
- Vegan Mushroom Tomato Pasta [One Pot] - 18 February 2023