This Easy Healthy Spanish Rice With Veg & Beans is a colorful and tasty side dish. I love, love Mexican food, but I love beans so much. So today, I am sharing one of my favorite recipes for Mexican beans and rice. (see this guide here for good Mexican food places in Fresno if you are ever visiting)
When I first went vegan, I ate TONS and tons of rice and beans; it’s a filling meal, packed with carbs and protein, and I loved it. So, beans and rice have been a staple ever seen. But of course, I like to spice things up in my recipes, and today, I created this Healthy Spanish Rice With Veg & Beans.
Ideas for serving this rice dish with:
- You can serve it with a specialty burrito. Something like this Healthy Breakfast Burrito and really make a meal out of it.
- Vegan Fajitas – with cooked peppers and onions for example.
- Serve them alongside your main course? Even a curry.
- And always a perfect match with tacos, any one of your favourite and especially alongside these tacos.
- Don’t limit yourself by just enjoying it with Mexican dishes. As I mentioned above, having it a curry, or even have it with a piece of cooked tofu.
THIS BEAUTIFUL SIDE DISH FREEZES WELL TOO.
If you ever need rice for your dinner, then the batch in the freezer will be your perfect option!
Let’s make some rice!
Do let me know how you found this Easy Healthy Spanish Rice With Veg & Beans if you do try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Also, I would really appreciate if you check out my very first E-Book, it’s a 70-page book, full of beautiful, easy, and delicious vegan dishes! Click HERE to find out more!
Easy Healthy Spanish Rice With Veg & BeansNo wonder Spanish Rice is served with so many Mexican style meals. It is the perfect side dish along with being colorful and tasty.
- 2 cups/370g brown rice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced or finely chopped
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes (1 can/tin)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 15 ounces/400g can/tin of pinto beans - drained and rinsed
- To a large saucepan add 2 cups brown rice and 4 cups water.
- Turn on high and bring to a boil. Turn down to low and cover with a lid.
- Simmer for 45 minutes until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside.
- While the rice is cooking heat oil in a large skillet. Saute the onion and bell peppers until the onion is translucent, about 10 to 15 minutes
- Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- To the skillet add the diced tomatoes, chili powder, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the beans and cooked rice to heat through. Serve hot.
NotesIf you have pre-cooked rice or leftover rice, you can use it for this recipe. It will be done even quicker!
NutritionCalories: 275kcalTried this recipe?Let us know how it was!