This Easy Healthy Vegan Apple Crumble is made with just 10 simple ingredients and uses only one bowl! They’re naturally sweetened, gluten-free and vegan too!
What do you get when you combine apple pie and granola bars? An amazing breakfast/dessert that tastes like a decadent sweet treat but is actually healthy.
Yep, you heard it here first. These apple crumble bars are not only tasty but actually good for you!
Why? Because they’re made with whole grains, nuts, natural sweeteners, and real fruit. Nothing artificial here, just pure, clean deliciousness.
Unlike traditional crumble toppings, you don’t need butter and you need very little sugar for this version. Yet you’re left with those glorious crunchy clusters that can easily put other crumbles to shame.
The best part of all? Our crumble topping is also our base!
So you just need one bowl to make this entire recipe (which I personally think is a major win when it comes to baking) and 10 ingredients!
GF & Vegan Apple Crumble Bars
Once we’ve got our base/topping done, we can move onto the apples!
Similar to an apple pie or crisp, you want to quickly toss your apples with some cinnamon, a sweetener (in this case maple syrup), and a touch of starch. The starch is optional, but it helps make everything a little more gooey and soft.
To make this dessert gluten-free and vegan, we’re using a blend of quick-cooking oats (make sure they’re GF!), almond flour and quinoa flour, then tossing in a flax egg instead of a chicken egg. I personally love the combo of these ingredients and you’ll see them in a lot of my baked goods because all three not only add great texture, but we also get amazing nutrients.
These are bars are high in:
- Healthy Fats
I’d say definitely better than most other dessert recipes you see!
We did this naughty (perhaps) thing, where we warmed this Easy Healthy Vegan Apple Crumble bars and poured some Vegan custard on top and we used it to finish our evening meal with a delicious dessert!
But you can eat the bars on their own, as a snack, breakfast or anything really, and with custard maybe?
Let’s give this Easy Healthy Vegan Apple Crumble a go, shall we?
- Oh, please do let us know how you found the recipe, and if you do like what you are seeing and tasting, do subscribe to our newsletter to keep getting yummy vegan recipes, or check out our Facebook page!
♥ Thank you ♥
Cuts into 8-10 bars
for the base & crumble:
1 cup/90g of quick-cooking oats gluten-free if needed
1/2 cup/65g of almond flour
1/2 cup/65g of quinoa flour
1/4 cup/ 85g of maple syrup
1/4 cup/ 1.84oz/ 52g of coconut oil
1 flax egg ( 1 tablespoon of flaxseed, mixed with 3 tablespoons of water, it acts as a glue )
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
For the apples:
2 cups chopped apples (about 2)
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon tapioca starch (or arrowroot/corn/potato)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F/ 180C. Line an 8X8 baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Mix in the syrup and coconut oil and crumble with your hands until it resembles a coarse, sandy texture. Remove 1/2 cup of the dough for the topping.
2. Add the flax egg to the bowl and stir to form a sticky dough. Transfer the dough to the baking pan and press it evenly with your fingers or a flat-bottomed glass.
3. Toss all the apple ingredients together until combined, and cook them on a low heat whilst mixing often until the apples become soft and start to ‘catch’ and pour them on top of the base. Spread out evenly with a spatula. Crumble the reserved oat topping over the apple jam.
4. Bake in the center of the oven for 40 – 45 minutes until the oats are golden brown. Check after 30 minutes and cover with foil if the topping is getting too brown. Remove and cool for 30 minutes, then transfer to the fridge and cool completely.
Slice into squares and serve with hot custard if you like!
Nutrition: If cut into 10
Calories: 110kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 38mg | Potassium: 53mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 10IU | Vitamin C: 0.7mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 0.6mg