Easy Healthy Vegan Buffalo Quinoa ‘Meatballs’ made with quinoa? Are you kidding? No, I am really not kidding!
YOU HAVE to make these buffalo meatballs made from quinoa, they are sooo tasty.
If you think about it, often, when you think of meat, and meat recipes, it’s not the meat that makes them tasty, it’s the sauces, seasoning, and the way it’s cooked that makes them tasty.
The same applies to vegan food, if you cook and coat quinoa with the right sauces and cook them well, you are likely to get a positive outcome.
Quinoa is a great choice here because it’s high in protein. And it also holds well, making the perfect shape of meatballs easily.
The quinoa is made into balls with some other ingredients, then they are grilled and coated with the homemade buffalo sauce. So yummy!
Do let me know how you found these Easy Healthy Vegan Buffalo Quinoa ‘Meatballs’ if you do try them though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Also, I would really appreciate it if you check out my very first E-Book, it’s a 70-page book, full of beautiful, easy, and delicious vegan recipes! Click HERE to find out more!
More Vegan Meatball Recipes:
Easy Healthy Vegan Buffalo Quinoa 'Meatballs'
- 1 cup/300g roasted cauliflower/ leftover cauliflower rice
- 1 cup 137g cooked quinoa
- 1 cup/125g breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal mixed with 6 tablespoons of water ( this is a vegan egg )
- ½ cup 114g red onion finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil
- Buffalo Sauce:
- 1/2 cup vinegar based hot sauce such as Frank's hot sauce or sirracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Buffalo Sauce:
- Mix all the ingredients together other medium-low heat in a saucepan until completely incorporated. Set aside until ready to use.
- Vegan Meatballs
- Preheat oven to 450°F/230°C. Cut the cauliflower's stem off, and cut into even-sized florets. Drizzle the cauliflower with maybe a teaspoon of oil. Roast the cauliflower for 15-20 minutes in the oven. Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- In a food processor, add the cauliflower and pulse it until it's completely riced. Remove from the food processor.
- Add the 1 cup of riced cauliflower and all the other meatball ingredients EXCEPT the coconut oil and breadcrumbs. You can pulse them or mix them together until they form into a tight ball, combining everything. You want to ensure they are so mixed together that you're not seeing individual cauliflower or quinoa florets, it's all one big mixture. That's how you'll ensure the meatballs will hold together!
- Put the mixture in a bowl and add the breadcrumbs and combine well.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan over medium-high heat. While it's heating, use a tablespoon measurer to form one raw meatball and shape into a ball with your fingers. You can place them on a plate while the oil heats.
- Add one meatball to test the oil. Cook on one side for about 1-2 minutes, turning on all sides onto fully cooked inside and out, about 4 minutes. You can add as many meatballs as can fit in the pan without overcrowding it, cooking them all for about 4-5 minutes turning on each side, to cook them through.
- Lower/turn the heat off. When the heat has cooled down, add in the sauce. You want to do this because if the pan is too hot, the sauce will spew and the heat can be dangerous while so hot.
- Coat the meatballs in the sauce and then remove the pan from the stove. Serve the meatballs and enjoy!! You can enjoy these vegan meatballs alone, in a nice hoagie or with cauliflower rice or quinoa on the side, you know, for a double down. You could even have them on toothpicks as an appetizer at your Super Bowl party!