These quick Easy Healthy Vegan Refried Beans are perfect for dipping, served as a side dish, or stuffed into burritos. Ready in minutes and full of flavor!
I love, love refried beans! The first time I ever tried them was in a Mexican restaurant – and oh my days! I do love beans, and when I discovered refried beans – I was completely in the bean world. I started eating refried beans with almost anything; as aside on top of my salads, as a snack, I used to dip carrots flatbreads, crackers in it, you name it!
AREN’T ALL REFRIED BEANS VEGAN?
Try to be really careful when buying premade canned refried beans or ordering them at a restaurant, because refried beans often contain lard. Not only are they not vegan, but they’re also not even vegetarian!
If you do choose to buy premade refried beans, look for cans labeled “vegetarian.” They’ll be made with oil instead of lard (and are generally also vegan). But after trying this recipe – I am sure you won’t even look at buying canned refried beans again 😉
SHOP FOR EQUIPMENT FOR THIS RECIPE:
Don’t have the needed equipment to make this recipe? Don’t worry, I got you covered!
I have linked you below with all the equipment you may need for this recipe, so that will save you the time to look for them!
Do let me know how you found this Super Quick Oil-Free Vegan Pesto if you do try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Let’s make some refried beans!
Do let me know how you found these Easy Healthy Vegan Refried Beans if you do try them though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Also, I would really appreciate if you check out my very first E-Book, it’s a 70-page book, full of beautiful, easy, and delicious vegan dishes! Click HERE to find out more!
Easy Healthy Vegan Refried Beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or high-heat oil of choice
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 14 ounce or 400ml cans/tins of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water or as needed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Coat the bottom of a large skillet with the oil and place it over medium-high heat.
- Give the oil a minute to heat up, then add the onion. Sauté the onion for about 5 minutes, until soft and beginning to brown.
- Add the garlic, cumin, and oregano to the skillet. Cook everything for about 1 minute, until the garlic becomes very fragrant.
- Stir in the beans and water. Raise the heat and bring the water to a boil.
- Lower the heat and allow the water to simmer for about 10 minutes until most of it has evaporated and the beans have softened a bit. You can add more water to the skillet if it becomes too dry while cooking.
- Remove the skillet from heat. Mash the beans as much as you like with a fork or potato masher — they can be made creamy or left somewhat chunky. It's up to you!
- Return the skillet to the burner and reheat the beans if needed. You can also add more water if needed.
- Remove the skillet from the burner and season the beans with lime juice and salt.
- Serve as a side, as a snack or to compliment your Mexican dishes!