This Easy Lentil Stew With Sweet Mash Potatoes is 1 Pot, Make ahead, Freezer friendly. Short Active time and all the flavour like lentil shepherds pie!
I always loved lentils, since I was a child. It was a common thing on the dinner table whilst I was growing up.
So lentils always remind me of my childhood, and how we all used to sit at the dinner table enjoying a lentil stew with a crusty bread!
You don’t have to use sweet potatoes for this recipe!
If you are not a fan of ’em, no problem, you can use regular white potatoes.
There is something very comforting about eating a warm pie like this one. It’s just very satisfying, especially on a cold day.
More Stew Recipes:
Shall we give this yummy stew a go? <3
Do let me know how you found this Easy Lentil Stew With Sweet Mash Potatoes though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Lentil Mushroom Stew:
1 tsp oil
1/2 medium onion chopped
4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
10 oz of sliced mushroom (mix of cremini, white and portabello)
1/4 cup (60 ml) red wine (or whiskey or 1 tbsp balsamic + 1 tbsp soy sauce/coconut aminos for soy-free)
3/4 cups (96 g) sliced carrots, or other veggies such as zucchini, celery, or a mix
1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/4 tsp onion powder
3/4 cup (144 g) uncooked brown lentils
2 tsp (1 tsp) tomato paste
3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) salt
2 cups (500 ml) of water or veggie broth
Sweet potato mash:
12 oz cubed sweet potato (2 medium sweet potatoes), or use regular potatoes
1/4 tsp or more salt to taste
1/4 tsp garlic powder
black pepper, dried/fresh thyme to taste
additional flavours: chives, chopped parsley
1. Heat a sauce-pan. Add oil, when hot add onion and garlic and cook for a minute. Then add the mushrooms and a good pinch of salt and cook for 3 minutes, add the wine and mix well and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
2. Add the carrots, dry lentils, salt, herbs, tomato paste, water or broth and give it a good mix. (additional flavours: add 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary or dried oregano. Add a tbsp of Worcestershire sauce)
3. Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the sweet potatoes chunks. Boil until fork-tender. Transfer the boiled sweet potatoes to a bowl and mash with a fork.
Add the salt, garlic, thyme, pepper, and mix well. Taste and adjust the flavour if needed. (If using regular potatoes, add a few tbsp of dairy-free milk)
4. Taste and adjust the lentil stew in the pot and add salt if needed, add a good dash of black pepper. You can also fold in some baby spinach and 1/3 cup green peas at this point.
5. Serve the stew over mashed sweet potatoes. Garnish with fresh herbs and black pepper. You can also add toasted breadcrumbs and olive oil garnish.