Today’s recipe is an Easy Sweet & Sour Thai Mango Salad designed to be a delicious light meal on a hot summer’s day. This dish balances the sweetness and warmth of the mango with the acidity of the lime juice and the kick of chili.
It has a pleasing range of textures: the softness of the mango contrasting the crunch from the peppers, cos lettuce, and nuts.
For best results, I would recommend trying to use an unripe mango, as they aren’t quite as sweet and closer in taste to the green mango that’s used for this kind of salad in Thailand.
I could only find a ripe yellow mango here so I added a bit more lime juice to the dressing to balance the sweetness and acidity out.
This recipe is my attempt to catch the endless sunny days, the rugged coastline, the valleys of eucalyptus trees, the adorable wildlife. It is a piece of tasty nostalgia on a plate!
I don’t know about you – but I am ready for the summer, and so is this dish!
Do let me know how you found this Easy Sweet & Sour Thai Mango Salad if you do try it! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Also, I would really appreciate if you check out my very first E-Book, it’s a 70-page book, full of beautiful, easy, and delicious vegan dishes! Click HERE to find out more!
Easy Sweet & Sour Thai Mango Salad
- 1 large Thai green mango or unripe mango*
- 1 large red pepper
- a handful of Cos lettuce leaves
- 2 spring onions white parts sliced finely
- 1 courgette
- 1 red chilli diced finely
- handful of roasted cashews or peanuts, chopped
- fresh cilantro/coriander and/or mint chopped + a few whole leaves for decoration
- 2-3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 small garlic clove pressed
- 2 tbsp tamari for gluten-free version or soy sauce
- 1 tsp maple syrup or coconut sugar
- ground pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- Using a sharp knife or a special peeler, julienne mango, pepper and courgette. Tear Cos lettuce leaves roughly.
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside for the flavours to marry.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all salad ingredients apart from nuts.
- Mix the dressing in, adjust seasoning. Serve sprinkled with nuts and a few leaves of mint and/or cilantro/coriander.