This deliciously Easy Vegan Creamy African Peanut & Bean Stew makes for a warm and comforting weeknight meal that’s super easy to make using just One Pot. Gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, oil-free option, and plant-based!
Peanut butter and kidney beans might sound like a strange combination but you have to trust me when I say it’s amazing.
I don’t know guys, I like everything that has peanut butter in it, so I will swear by everything that has got peanut butter in it. I mean if you are a peanut butter lover, you know what I mean 😉
If this is the first time you ever make a peanut-based stew or curry, you’re in for a delicious treat.
This unique peanut, tomato, and coconut milk-based stew is so incredibly flavorful, super comforting, and is truly a hug in a bowl. The nutty peanut flavor lends itself beautifully to the creamy sweet kidney beans and served over some rice, this hearty vegan stew surely makes for a nutritious meal perfect for weeknights.
WHY THIS PEANUT STEW WILL BE YOUR NEW ONE POT WEEKNIGHT DINNER FAVE:
While most peanut stews out there are more West African-inspired dishes, made with chicken, I am adding kidney beans to this dish to make it vegan and plant-based, but I promise you won’t even miss the meat.
You’re going to fall in love with this rich and flavorful peanut stew!
This is the kind of vegan comfort food that is perfect for a cozy night in, curled up on the couch under a big soft blanket.
Another thing I truly love about this vegan kidney bean stew recipe is that it is extremely easy to make using just one pot, so next to no dishes!
It is also packed full of healthy ingredients like bell peppers, carrots, broccoli, and protein-packed kidney beans. We should all eat more of those!
The combination of natural peanut butter and coconut milk lends this stew a creaminess that you will LOVE and that really brings out the exciting flavors we incorporate.
Do let me know how you found this Easy Vegan Creamy African Peanut & Bean Stew if you do try it! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Also, I would rJump to RecipePrint Recipeeally appreciate if you check out my very first E-Book, it’s a 70-page book, full of beautiful, easy, and delicious vegan dishes! Click HERE to find out more!
Easy Vegan Creamy African Peanut & Bean Stew
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil or oil of choice
- 1 medium-sized brown/red/white onion chopped
- 3 tbsp peanut butter or almond butter or use sun butter for nut-free
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp curry powder or garam masala or Jamaican curry powder or berbere or Bharat
- 1/2 cup 2.63 oz chopped tomato
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups 1.4 lb veggies such as green or red bell pepper, carrots, zucchini etc
- 1 cup 7.97 oz/200ml of coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 15 oz canned/tinned/400g kidney beans or 1.25 cup cooked kidney bean
- 1/2 cup 4.17 oz water
- cilantro/coriander lime juice for garnish
- 1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, add onion and sautee them until golden. Then add all the spices and herbs and stir into the onions for a few seconds. Add in the peanut butter and mix it in. Add the tomatoes and veggies and mix in, letting everything come to a simmer. (If adding quick-cooking veggies such as broccoli, add them in the next step 5 after 10 mins of simmering. )
- 2. Add the coconut milk, rinsed and drained kidney beans, salt, sugar, and water and mix well. Cover and cook for 13-15 minutes or until the veggies are cooked to preference. Taste and add more salt or sugar to taste.
- 3. Garnish with cilantro and lime juice and serve with rice and other cooked grains or as is or with garlic bread.
- Building Muscle on a Vegan Diet: A Comprehensive Guide to Meal Planning & Macros - 11 April 2023
- Vegan Keto Sushi Roll - 25 February 2023
- Vegan Mushroom Tomato Pasta [One Pot] - 18 February 2023
Joel Stoffel2 July 2021 at 14h10
Great and it was easy to follow
Elena2 July 2021 at 17h16
So pleased you liked the recipe!