These Easy Vegan Crispy Chicken Steaks With Satay Sauce are healthy, high protein and it’s perfect if you are craving chicken. This Easy Vegan Crispy Chicken Steaks With Satay Sauce is high on protein, healthy and pretty easy to make. The texture is crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. The satay sauce complements it perfectly.
The ‘chicken’ steaks are made out of tofu, which is then coated in a little bit of the satay sauce, then breaded with the breadcrumbs and baked to perfection. No frying here!
The satay sauce is pretty simple too all you need for it is:
4. Maple Syrup
5. Soya Sauce
6. Peanut Butter
7. Coconut milk
8. And a bit of oil
Simply sweat down the onions, garlic and chillies, then add the maple syrup, soya sauce and peanut butter, and it will form a paste-like consistency. Add a bit of water to break it down, then keep half of that sauce aside ( to marinate the steaks in it ) And add the coconut milk to the pan with the half of the sauce and cook for few minutes and its done!
To make the steaks, simply cut the tofu then marinade them with the sauce we put aside, then coat them nicely in some breadcrumbs then bake in the oven until crisp. Done.
I haven’t given you any sides to go with your steaks, I left that to you to decide, but I would recommend rice, and bok choi maybe, but it’s entirely up to you.
Let’s get cooking, shall we?
Umm, before we start, please do let us know how you found the recipe, and if you do like what you are seeing and tasting, do subscribe to our newsletter to keep getting yummy vegan recipes, or check out our Facebook page!
♥ Thank you ♥
Each steak ( without the sauce ) contains 264 calories.
Makes 3-4 steaks
For the Satay Sauce:
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 large banana shallot, chopped
4 Thai chillies
2 large clove garlic minced
2 tbsp maple syrup
3/4 cup/ 6.3 oz/150g peanut butter
2 tsp soy sauce
6.6oz/ 200ml coconut milk (half a can/tin)
For the Tofu Steaks:
1 block, 1 1/14 cups ( 300g ) of firm tofu (the extra firm is ideal)
100g panko breadcrumbs, or any breadcrumbs you have, I had golden breadcrumbs
Cooking oil spray
1. First, prepare the sauce. Trim and finely slice the chillies | Warm the vegetable oil in a deep frying pan over a medium heat | Add the shallots to the pan with a pinch of salt, stir for 2 minutes | Add the garlic and chillies to the pan and stir for 1 minute | Turn the heat down, add the maple syrup and soy sauce to the pan and stir for 30 seconds | Add the peanut butter to the pan with 2 tbsp water and stir to form a sauce.
2. Transfer half the sauce to a mixing bowl. Now, make the sauce saucier | Pour the coconut milk into the pan, stir into the mixture and warm through | Take the pan off the stove and set to one side.
3. Now, prepare and roast the tofu steaks | Cut the block of pre-pressed tofu in half and cut the halves in half (you’ll have 4 steaks in total) | Put the slices in the mixing bowl with the sauce and carefully fold them around so they’re well covered (this might be a bit messy and sticky so you might need to use two spoons)
4. Add the panko breadcrumbs to a large shallow bowl | Roll the tofu steaks around in the panko making sure they’re well covered Cut a large rectangle of tin foil off the roll and put the rectangle in the centre of the baking tray | Spray the tin foil with a light coating of cooking spray | Place the tofu steaks in the middle of the tin foil rectangle and wrap the tin foil around them to form a parcel
5. Put the tray in a preheated oven to 425F/200C and roast the steaks for 35-40 minutes, opening the tin foil parcel for the final 10 minutes of cooking (this will crisp up the panko coating)
5. Meanwhile, prepare your sides, I made sweet potato wedges, roasted mushrooms and peppers to go with it, but you can put rice and some greens on the side if you like, it will work well with the sauce!
6. Warm the satay sauce over a medium heat adding water to reach your desired consistency (The sauce will thicken quickly so do this right before you remove the steaks from the oven) Time to serve! | Take the tofu out of the oven and plate up with your chosen sides| Pour the satay pouring the sauce over dish | Garnish with black sesame seeds and serve.