This Easy Vegan Gluten-Free Falafel Recipe is full of protein and fiber and is so delicious.Made gluten-free, with loads of fresh herbs, and spices. Perfect inside a warm pitta with hummus and crunchy veg.
What is a Falafel?
It’s a traditional middle eastern dish, made with chickpeas, herbs, and spices, which is normally shaped into balls and fried. But in this recipe, we are going to bake them! Because we are trying to be healthy here…remember!
I worked in a middle eastern-inspired restaurant. so I got to work with loads of interesting dishes; baba ganoush, loads of different hummus, shawarma, flatbreads, Kibbeh and so much more!
I have to say, I fell in love with these types of recipes and cuisines. They pack tons of flavor, a perfect balance of spices, and some of them can be quite healthy too!
What Is a Falafel Wrap?
What goes in a falafel wrap is falafels, Hummus, sliced vegetables like tomato, cucumber, and mixed leaves, sometimes tzatziki, or other sauces over the falafel.
Another option is on a sandwich or: 2 slices of brown bread, Half an avocado 1 small sliced tomato, and 3 falafels.
How To Make Easy Vegan Gluten-Free Falafel:
The recipe requires:
1. Dried uncooked chickpeas
2. Fresh Herbs
3. Gram Flour
6. Olive Oil
7. Baking Powder
8. Red Onion
Before we start, the most important thing about this recipe is to think ahead! We are using uncooked chickpeas, which need to be soaked overnight in cold water or for at least 30 minutes in hot water!
The rest of the method is pretty straightforward, everything goes into a food processor and blitz until combined. The gram flour is folded in if needed, only if the falafel doesn’t come together when you try to shape it.
The falafels are shaped and brushed with olive oil, then baked.
More Vegan Recipes:
Anyway! Do let me know how you found this Easy Vegan Gluten-Free Falafel Recipe if you try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Easy Vegan Gluten-Free Falafel Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup/300g of dried uncooked chickpeas
- 2 medium-sized red onions peeled and roughly diced
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- Half a bunch of coriander roughly diced
- Half a bunch of parsley roughly diced
- 3 tbsp of gram flour chickpea flour
- 2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon of dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Olive oil to brush the falafels before baking
- Soak the dried chickpeas in hot water for a minimum of 30 minutes, ideally overnight.
- Preheat oven to 390F/200c. Line a baking tray with parchment paper (NOT greaseproof paper, otherwise the falafel will stick to it! Just generally never use greaseproof paper for baking!)
- In a food processor, add all the ingredients except the gram flour and pulse until well combined, but not pureed.
- Add the mixture in a bowl and add the gram flour. Mix well.
- Shape your falafels, it should make about 16 thick balls. (Be careful not to pack them too tight, or the falafel will be dense.)
- Place the falafels onto the baking tray, and brush some olive oil generously, it's important that you are not shy with the oil, we want them crispy! They will still be healthier than the classically deep-fried ones!
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, flipping them halfway through.