This Easy Vegan Lentil & Potato Mahkani Curry is so flavorsome, so comforting and the perfect way to have an amazing curry night at home!
Oh my gosh, do I love Indian food. The unique flavors and spices are unlike any other cuisine and they instantly make me so happy. Although Indian food may be intimidating to some, I find that once you experiment and learn some of the foundational spices used, you can really very easily make many of your favorite dishes at home.
What’s your favorite curry? I would love to find out, so I can try it!
I mean the whole science behind cooking is – flavor, Indian food packs a lot of flavors thanks to the spices they use in their food. If you can pack a lot of flavor in your dish, its gonna be a success. That is why Indian food has always been a go-to for me, especially when I want to impress people with my food.
The best thing about becoming vegan was the fact, that I started exploring a lot of different cuisines, started cooking all sorts of foods, foods I have never tried before. Asian food seems to be on the top of my list now. Veganism made me become even more adventurous with food. I get to learn so much about flavors and other cultures and cuisines.
How To Make Vegan Mahkani Curry:
The method is pretty simple; the cumin seeds are toasted, then the onion, ginger, and garlic are added, cooked for a bit then the spices are added.
The potatoes are simmered down until cooked with some chopped tomatoes and water. Just before the end, cooked lentils are added with spinach and coconut milk.
More Vegan Curry Recipes:
1. Quick Healthy Vegan Green Lentil Curry
2. Easy Healthy Vegan Kadai Curry
3. Easy Creamy Vegan Peanut Eggplant Curry
Let’s make some curry!
Do let me know how you found this Easy Vegan Lentil & Potato Mahkani Curry though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Easy Vegan Lentil & Potato Mahkani Curry
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 inch nub of fresh ginger peeled and finely minced or grated
- 6 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 14 ounces/1 can/tin crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup/236ml water
- 1 lb organic potatoes cubed ( I left the peel on, but you can peel if you’d prefer)
- 2 cups/150g cooked lentils
- 3 cups/150g cups/150g baby spinach
- 1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk (traditionally heavy cream is used)
- To top with fresh cilantro/coriander
- In a large pan, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil. Cook the cumin seeds until they just start to brown and dance around in the pan, about 1 minute. Add the ginger, garlic, and onion. Sauté 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, turmeric, garam masala, salt, tomatoes, and water. Give it all a good stir to combine, add the potatoes. Cook for about 15 – 20 minutes until the potatoes are barely tender. Add the lentils and cook another 10 minutes or until the potatoes are done.
- Just before serving add the baby spinach and coconut milk. Stir to incorporate the coconut milk and allow the sauce to simmer a few minutes to wilt the spinach.
- Serve over rice and top with fresh cilantro.
- Building Muscle on a Vegan Diet: A Comprehensive Guide to Meal Planning & Macros - 11 April 2023
- Vegan Keto Sushi Roll - 25 February 2023
- Vegan Mushroom Tomato Pasta [One Pot] - 18 February 2023