This Easy Vegan Potato Pea & Spinach Cakes recipe is an easy recipe with common ingredients that taste superb. Simple made good!
This recipe is a popular north Indian snack. True to its name hara bhara kabab is in bright green color due to the addition of fresh green peas and blanched spinach.
As we are not using any bread crumbs to roll over in this recipe, it is a must to use gram flour here for binding.
You can deep fry or shallow fry too as per your choice. Here I have shallow fried the cakes.
These spinach cakes are a great finger food for toddlers and kids, these crispy cutlets are so delicious, filling, and healthy that you can serve these are breakfast too.
Do try this easy spinach potato cakes recipe for those fussy kids and toddlers, they will surely eat their dose of spinach and peas this way 🙂
The method for this recipe is super simple:
Boil and mash the potatoes and peas. Finely puree/chop the spinach. Add a couple of spices, mix with the potato mash. Shape into small patties and fry ’em up! Job Done!
I topped them with vegan yogurt, the next day had them with baked beans…But you can have them anyway you want!
Anyway! Do let me know how you found this Easy Vegan Potato Pea & Spinach Cakes if you try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Easy Vegan Potato Pea & Spinach Cakes
- 4 cups/600g/2 large potatoes boiled and peeled
- 3/4 cup/100g fresh green peas frozen work well too!
- 1 cup/30g spinach leaves blanched and roughly chopped
- 1/4 bunch of cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour gram flour/besan
- 2 green chilies
- 1/2 thumb-sized ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- Oil to fry
- Peel off the potatoes, and bring them to a boil in water. Just before they are ready to come out, drop the peas in, and cook for 5 more minutes. Drain them, then roughly mash-them together. Do not make it very pasty though.
- Blanch drain and roughly chop the spinach. Grind to a coarse paste along with cilantro, green chili, and ginger. I used pestle and mortar for this (look notes for alternative)
- Now take peas-potato mixture, spinach paste, and gram flour in a mixing bowl.
- Add salt, chili powder, and mix well. Knead slightly and make equal sized balls. Shape into cutlets.
- Heat oil in a shallow frying pan, fry the shaped cutlets until golden brown from both sides.
- Drain to a kitchen towel and serve the cakes with hot sauce if you like
The cakes will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days! Ideally, reheat them in the oven or eat them cold!