This Easy Vegan Thick Lentil Soup is loaded with delicious spices and very simple to put together. It tastes wonderful alone or as an appetizer dish and is vegan, gluten-free and loaded with whole food ingredients.
If you like chunky soups, then you will love this one. It’s very thick, maybe it’s borderline stew, but I would still call it a soup though.
I love chunky soups, I love, love them. I currently live in the UK, and all the British eat cream soups only. No chunky soups, it’s like baby food. I have gotten to like creamy soups more, but I still love my chunky soups.
Dig through your pantry.
I wanted to make a soup out of all the pantry ingredients I had stuck behind the shelves, so this lovely soup came to life!
As you probably already know, I love lentils too. So why not make a chunky lentil soup?
P.S you can call this a soup or a stew…or something between these two haha 😀
Do let me know how you found this Easy Vegan Thick Lentil Soup if you do try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Also, I would really appreciate it if you check out my very first E-Book, it’s a 70-page book, full of beautiful, easy, and delicious vegan recipes! Click HERE to find out more!
More Soup Recipes:
1. Oil-Free Roasted Zucchini & Garlic Soup
2. Easy Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
3. Easy Warming & Nutritious Curried Chickpea Soup
Easy Vegan Thick Lentil Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion diced
- 4 stalks celery diced
- 1 large carrot or two medium size carrots diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 26 ounces/737g fresh tomatoes chopped - you can also use a 28oz can diced tomatoes and drain the liquid
- 1 cup 7.1 ounces/200g dried brown/green lentils picked over, rinsed and dried
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- salt & pepper to taste I use 3/4 teaspoon sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2-3 sprigs thyme to be removed at the end
- 1 cup kale roughly chopped
- Juice of two limes about 2 tablespoons squeezed over
- Toppings Optional: Oil drizzle red pepper flakes, parsley, and/or sprinkle of Za'Tar & Crusty bread
- In a large, deep pot over medium-high heat, add half the olive oil (1.5 tablespoons) to heat.
- Add the onions, celery, carrot, and minced garlic. Stir together and allow to sweat for about 5 minutes, to soften and release natural juices from the veggies.
- Add in the tomatoes, the lentils, garam masala and salt, and pepper. Stir together. Pour in the vegetable broth, and add the thyme and stir again.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer for 30 minutes, until lentils are fully cooked.
- Remove the thyme.
- Scoop out two cups of soup (with liquid) and pour it into your blender. If you have a glass blender, ensure it cools down a bit first!
- Press the soup setting or blend until fully blended out. Pour back into the soup pot and mix the soup together one more time to combine everything.
- Add in kale/spinach and lime juice and stir to combine.
- Serve the soup and top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- Vegan Keto Sushi Roll - 25 February 2023
- Vegan Mushroom Tomato Pasta [One Pot] - 18 February 2023
- Here’s How Vegans Get Calcium [11 Ways] - 14 February 2023