This Easy Vegan Vegetable Katsu Curry, is the perfect vegan solution to the katsu curry you miss to eat once becoming a vegan! It’s incredibly easy to make, as long as you got a couple of spices and a few veggies and a big wooden spoon and a frying pan!
Now, I absolutely love, love Katsu curry! So I have been craving it for a while, and decided to give it a go!
I know, I know, I have been quite bad recently, adding too many fried food recipes, which are not the healthiest, but man, this winter got me to crave fried comfort food! And I had a really bad craving for katsu curry, so I decided, might as well do it!
Oh, this recipe is a total winner, YOU HAVE to try it!
More Vegan Recipes;
Let’s get cooking, shall we?
Anyway! Do let me know how you found these Easy Vegan Vegetable Katsu Curry if you try them though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
♥ Thank you ♥
For the Katsu sauce:
1 large onion
1 small carrot
5cm piece fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 tablespoons of toasted sesame oil
1 1⁄2 tsp soy sauce
1 tablespoon of medium curry powder
350ml/1/2 pint of vegetable stock
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp cornflour 2 tbsp water
175g plain flour
1⁄2 tbsp salt
250ml plant-based milk
200g panko breadcrumbs, or any breadcrumbs you have, best are panko though
2 aubergines (about 300g each)
4 spring onions chopped for decoration (optional)
sesame seeds, to sprinkle 500g cooked basmati rice, or use 2 x 250g bags microwavable basmati rice, to serve
vegetable oil, for frying
1. First, make the sauce | Peel and dice the onion | Peel and grate the carrot | Peel and finely grate the ginger and garlic
2. Put one pan over medium heat and warm the sesame oil | Add the onions and fry for 3–4 minutes, stirring | Add the carrot and olive oil and stir for 5–6 minutes | Add the garlic and ginger and stir for 2 minutes
3. Add the soy sauce and curry powder and stir for 2 minutes, then transfer to the blender along with the vegetable stock | Blend | Pour back into the pan and return to medium heat.
4. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice of half into the pan, catching any pips with your other hand | Sprinkle over the garam masala and sugar and stir | Reduce the heat to low | Taste and add more salt and lemon if required.
5. Put the cornflour and water into a small dish and mix together with a fork | Pour into the pan and stir to thicken. And the sauce is done!
6. Now make the batter | Put the flour, salt and milk into a mixing bowl and whisk to a smooth batter | Pour the breadcrumbs into a separate bowl Trim the aubergines and cut into 1cm slices | Tip into the batter and toss to cover | Pick out one slice and roll it around in the breadcrumbs, covering it completely.
7. Repeat to coat all the slices. Fry the aubergine | Pour the vegetable oil into the second pan until it’s 2cm deep. Put the pan over medium heat and heat until a wooden spoon dipped into the oil starts to bubble around the edges.
8. Carefully add the aubergine slices and fry for 3–4 minutes on each side, until crispy and deep golden | Transfer to the kitchen paper for a minute to soak up any excess oil.
Meanwhile, heat the rice, if necessary, or cook following the packet instructions, then divide between plates | Arrange the crispy aubergine on top and drizzle over the katsu sauce | Finely slice the spring onions and sprinkle over with the sesame seeds before serving!
We really hope you enjoy this Easy Vegan Vegetable Katsu Curry!