This pan-seared Easy Vegan Watermelon Steak transforms juicy watermelon into a deliciously chewy vegan steak! With a banging marinate of flavor and sear in the pan, this tastes as good as it looks.
I got inspired by the idea of watermelon steak by recently discovering it in a famous food chain. So decided to give it a go!
So, now it’s time to do things Elena’s way. And Elena’s way involves:
- Trials/errors/minor grease burns
- Making it as simple as possible ( cos Elena is lazy 😀 )
- Making Banging marinate
- A little cheffy magic
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Seedless Watermelon: Seedless watermelon is best here, though you can use any watermelon variety that you have on hand.
- Flavorful marinate: A combination of oil, liquid smoke, soy sauce minced, thyme garlic, salt, and pepper. This helps to accentuate the savory flavors, tricking your brain into thinking you’re eating something closer to steak!
- Toppings: Ideally you would want to add a crunchy topping, to add more texture to your steak, I normally go for crispy shallots!
HOW TO CUT WATERMELON STEAKS:
So you start by cutting out some watermelon steaks. Cut the watermelon in half lengthwise, then place the flat edge down and cut 1 ½ to 2-inch slices down. It’s better to make them too thick than too thin. From each slice, cut out a rectangle.
Do let me know how you found these Easy Vegan Watermelon Steak if you do try them though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Also, I would really appreciate it if you check out my very first E-Book, it’s a 70-page book, full of beautiful, easy, and delicious vegan recipes! Click HERE to find out more!
Easy Vegan Watermelon Steak
- ½ large seedless watermelon
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp of dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp of dried thyme or rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- Cut the watermelon in half lengthwise. Place flat side down, and cut 1 ½ inch wide slice. Cut the largest rectangle possible from each of these slices. You should be able to get about 6 steaks from ½ of a watermelon.
- Pat each of the steaks dry with paper towels. If you have time, place them in the refrigerator uncovered for 1 to 2 hours to dry out excess moisture. Give them a final pat right before preparing.
- Whisk together oil liquid smoke, garlic, salt, pepper soy sauce and thyme. Pour the marinade onto your watermelon steaks making sure they are nicely covered and leave them in the fridge to marinade for at least 30 minutes, the longer the better.
- Lightly grease a large saute pan over low/medium. Gently slide each steak in, cooking for about 5 minutes on each side. Increase heat to medium-high and continue to cook each side for one minute, or until lightly browned.
- Serve warm, topped with the remaining of the marinade leftover from the curing.