This pan-seared Easy Vegan Watermelon Steak transforms juicy watermelon into a deliciously chewy vegan steak! Who knew watermelon could ever be used as a steak? Or in a savory meal? Trust me, you are going to love this!
I got inspired by the idea of watermelon steak by recently discovering it in a famous food chain. So decided to give it a go!
So, now it’s time to do things Elena’s way. And Elena’s way involves:
- Trials/errors/minor grease burns
- Making it as simple as possible ( cos Elena is lazy 😀 )
- Making Banging marinate
- A little cheffy magic
HOW TO CUT WATERMELON STEAKS:
So you start by cutting out some watermelon steaks. Cut the watermelon in half lengthwise, then place the flat edge down and cut 1 ½ to 2-inch slices down. It’s better to make them too thick than too thin. From each slice, cut out a rectangle.
How To Make Watermelon Steak:
You will need:
2. Soy Sauce
4. Liquid Smoke
5. Salt & Pepper + Olive Oil
First, we will need to drive the moisture out of the watermelon as much as we can. Once the steaks are cut, we pad dry them and refrigerate them to dry up more.
Secondly, you will need to marinate the watermelon steaks for at least 30 minutes! After that, using a hot pan, or a grill, the steaks are cooked on both sides until charred.
Voila, you have a vegan watermelon steak!
Do let me know how you found these Easy Vegan Watermelon Steak if you do try them though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Also, I would really appreciate it if you check out my very first E-Book, it’s a 70-page book, full of beautiful, easy, and delicious vegan recipes! Click HERE to find out more!
More Vegan Recipes:
1. Buddha Bowl With Miso Dressing
2. Superfood Buddha Vegetable Bowl
3. Easy Healthy Sweet Potato & Almond Goodness Bowl
Easy Vegan Watermelon Steak
- ½ large seedless watermelon
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp liquid smoke I used this one
- 1 tbsp of dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp of dried thyme or rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- Cut the watermelon in half lengthwise. Place flat side down, and cut 1 ½ inch wide slice. Cut the largest rectangle possible from each of these slices. You should be able to get about 6 steaks from ½ of a watermelon.
- Pat each of the steaks dry with paper towels. If you have time, place them in the refrigerator uncovered for 1 to 2 hours to dry out excess moisture. Give them a final pat right before preparing.
- Whisk together oil liquid smoke, garlic, salt, pepper soy sauce and thyme. Pour the marinade onto your watermelon steaks making sure they are nicely covered and leave them in the fridge to marinade for at least 30 minutes, the longer the better.
- Lightly grease a large saute pan over low/medium. Gently slide each steak in, cooking for about 5 minutes on each side. Increase heat to medium-high and continue to cook each side for one minute, or until lightly browned.
- Serve warm, topped with the remaining of the marinade leftover from the curing.
- Building Muscle on a Vegan Diet: A Comprehensive Guide to Meal Planning & Macros - 11 April 2023
- Vegan Keto Sushi Roll - 25 February 2023
- Vegan Mushroom Tomato Pasta [One Pot] - 18 February 2023