This Easy Yummy Vegan Lasagne is cheesy, rich, and tastes absolutely amazing and comforting – just like it should be! It’s pretty simple to make this Lasagne, and it’s not made out of soy protein or anything, but we are using only plant based ingredients like mushrooms for the ragu.
Lasagne has to be one of my childhood favourites. We didn’t often have it, but when we did, it was always so comforting. When I think of a lasagne, I think of warmth and comfort.
Of course, as a vegan. I have got to make a vegan version of the comforting lasagne recipe. So, today I am presenting you my version of a vegan lasagne, that’s just as comforting and indulgent as a classic lasagne recipe made with meat.
More Vegan Comfort Food Recipes:
Anyway! Do let me know how you found this Easy Yummy Vegan Lasagne Recipe if you try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
How To Make Vegan Lasagne:
2 onions large white onions
100g sun-dried tomatoes, plus 2 tbsp oil from the jar
3 celery sticks
1 sprig fresh rosemary
2 sprigs fresh thyme
4 garlic cloves
700g/26.5oz of chestnut mushrooms
300ml red wine
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp red miso paste
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1⁄2 tsp dried oregano
11oz/ 2 x 400g tins/cans of chopped plum tomatoes
500g dried lasagne sheets
salt and black pepper salad leaves, to serve
FOR THE BÉCHAMEL
125ml olive oil
125gall purpose flour
1.25 liters unsweetened plant-based milk
11⁄2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1. Preheat the oven to 345F/180°C Peel and quarter the onions and blitz them in the food processor until finely chopped
2. Add the sun-dried tomato oil to a large pan on the heat and sauté the onions, stirring, for 5–6 minutes
3. Meanwhile, peel the carrots and pulse them in the food processor with the celery until minced. Remove the leaves from the rosemary and thyme and finely chop. Peel and grate the garlic and add it to the pan. Stir for 1 minute. Add the carrot, celery, rosemary, and thyme, reduce the heat slightly and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 12–15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, thinly slice the sun-dried tomatoes. Pulse the mushrooms in the food processor until finely minced. Add to the pan along with the sun-dried tomatoes.
5. Stir, increase the heat slightly and sauté, stirring, for 8–10 minutes. Pour in the wine, increase the heat and stir constantly for 5–6 minutes, until nearly all the liquid has evaporated.
Add the tomato purée, miso paste, balsamic vinegar, oregano, and soy sauce and stir for 1 minute
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and water.
Lower the heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes. Taste and season. While it is simmering, make the béchamel.
6. Put a second pan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the flour and stir for 3–5 minutes. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly. Add the nutritional yeast and stir until smooth. Bring to the boil then lower the heat and simmer until the béchamel thickens to the consistency of custard. Taste and season
7. Now, layer up your lasagne. Spread a quarter of the ragu into the lasagne dish. Spoon over a quarter of the béchamel. Cover with lasagne sheets, breaking them if necessary to make a complete layer with no gaps. Repeat three times, reserving some béchamel to cover the top completely.
8. Cover with foil and put on the lowest shelf of the oven. Bake for 50 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for a further 15 minutes. Leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving with the salad leaves.
The leftovers of this Easy Yummy Vegan Lasagne will taste amazing the next day – simply bring back to piping hot in the oven or microwave.