This Healthier Vegan Leek & Parsnip Mash is just so tasty and perfect alongside any dish really. It’s hight on fiber, low on fat, low on carbs, and it’s vegan! How awesome is that? It’s super easy to make too, simply boil the parsnips, sweat down the leeks with some beautiful rosemary and garlic, mash the ingredients together and voila!
I get so excited about roasted parsnips, that sometimes I forget how good they can be just boiled – the flavor is a little less concentrated and therefore milder. Tender sweated with leeks and fragrant rosemary are the perfect partner.
This recipe is particularly good alongside our creamed baked mushroom recipe.
Parsnips are a great addition to your diet, they are high on fiber, and are really filling and don’t contain many calories. They are the perfect replacement for a less calorific version of mash instead of the traditional potato when it comes to carbs as well. Click on our article about the other health benefits of parsnips – Benefits Of Eating Parsnips
This also works well in a combination of roots – carrots, celeriac, swede, and spuds can all go in the mix.
You can swap the leeks for onions too!
There are approximately 192 calories per portion
700g of parsnips peeled and roughly chopped the same size
3 medium-sized leeks ( about 500g ) trimmed and thinly sliced
2 medium cloves of garlic minced
2 teaspoons of chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
3 tablespoons of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
- Put the parsnips into a saucepan and cover with water, add few pinches of salt and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until tender enough to mash.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the leeks, the garlic, and rosemary with some salt and pepper.
- When the leeks are sizzling, cover the pan, turn down the heat and let them sweat gently for 12-15 minutes stirring occasionally, until completely tender.
- Take the pan off the heat, and add the mustard. Stir thoroughly into the softened leeks.
- Drain the parsnips once cooked and let them steam in the colander for a few minutes, then tip them onto the pan with leeks. Use a fork or a masher and mash the whole thing together, but you don’t want it too smooth, let it be a bit chunky.
- Taste and add more salt or pepper if needed. Serve this yummy Healthier Vegan Leek & Parsnip Mash immediately.