These Healthy Almond & Seed Chocolate Breakfast Cookies have a lot going for them.
Sweet notes of banana and rich molasses. Golden turmeric and familiar spice friends. Filled to the brim with folded-in things like walnuts, hemp seeds, chia, and mini bits of chocolate. They really are living their best cozy cookie life.
And they want to bestow some of that cozy on you too. We both do.
Strip back all the flavors and mix-ins, and the cookie itself is quite simple…
- non-dairy milk
- almond flour
- nuts and seeds
So you can really customize any which way you like. It is not a super-sweet cookie (especially if you skip the molasses), but just sweet enough to be the perfect anytime snack. And so soft and puffy!
Makes about 10-12 cookies
3 (325g) ripe bananas
1/3 cup (75g) nondairy milk
1/4 cup molasses (80g) or back treacle (optional)
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cinnamon
1tsp of ginger
3 cups (330g) almond flour (or oat flour option)
1/3 cup hemp seeds (50g) I added pumpkin seeds, so it’s up to you what you would like.
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (60g)
2 tbsp chia seeds (25g)
1/3 cup chopped walnuts (40g)
1. Blend the bananas, milk, molasses.
2. Add the spices and almond flour. Blend until combined. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides a few times. It should be quite thick and just barely able to blend, if not add 1/4 cup more flour.
3. Stir in the nuts/seeds/chocolate chips.
4. Drop spoonfuls of batter onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper leaving enough space for some
spreading. You will need 2 pans or to bake them in 2 batches.
5. Bake for 15 minutes at 350F/180c or until lightly brown on the edges.
6. Remove from the oven and cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
7. Enjoy warm or I actually prefer them chilled. These Healthy Almond & Seed Chocolate Breakfast Cookies will last in the fridge for up to a week.