These Healthy Dippy Broccoli Tots are so delicious and healthy! I would suggest serving them with a dipping sauce to make them taste even better!
How To Make The Tots:
You’re going to need to blanch the broccoli in boiling water, just for a few minutes.
Then dice the broccoli into tiny pieces. You can also pulse the broccoli in a food processor for a few seconds but then you risk turning it into a puree. If anything plus then no more than 2-3 pluses and stop once you reach a “rice” texture.
Next, after dicing the broccoli, combine it with the ‘flax-egg’ (The flaxseed or linseed works as a binding agent for the substitute of eggs, see below), then the ‘cheese’, diced onion, parsley and a mixture of fine and panko bread crumbs.
You can also use all fine or all panko breadcrumbs but I suggest a mix of both because the panko breadcrumbs make the tots light and airy, while the fine breadcrumbs give the tots flavour. But again, if you have only one type then go for it.
Shaping the tots might seem hard at first but after a few tries, you should get the hang of it! the trick is to firmly press the mixture into a small tiny ball then shape it into a tot.
Alternatively, you could just put the whole mixture in a piping bag and pipe into a long log then cut into tots.
To make the “flax-egg”
Combine a tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water, stir to combine and let stand for 5 minutes to thicken. Ground flaxseed emulates eggs’ binding qualities in breads, cakes, muffins, cookies, burgers, and vegan meatballs.
You can use these vegan cheeses: Violife Prosociano Vegan Cheese Style. Or, if you don’t like it, or just can’t find it, you can use KoKo cheddar alternative which is pretty good!
Makes about 22-25 Tots
There are approximately 35 calories per Tot
300g of uncooked or frozen broccoli florets
50g of Vegan cheese
2 tablespoons of flaxseed, (see above)
One medium-sized finely chopped white onion
55g of panko breadcrumbs
55g of fine breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1. Preheat the oven to 210c.
Grease a baking sheet with a thin layer of oil or line with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Blanch the broccoli in boiling salted water for 1 minute then remove and shock with cold tap water to stop the cooking process. Drain well.
3. Chop the broccoli finely and mix thoroughly with the “flaxseed egg”, onions, ‘cheese’, breadcrumbs, and seasoning. Scoop about 1.5 tablespoons of the mix using an ice-cream scoop or your hands and gently press between your hands into a firm ball then shape into a tater-tot shape. It helps to wash your hands after every few tots to keep them from sticking onto your hands. Next, Place on your prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 30 minutes, turning halfway.
Remove from the oven and enjoy these Healthy Dippy Broccoli Tots hot, with ketchup, sriracha, ranch dressing, hummus, or your favourite dipping sauce!
- Building Muscle on a Vegan Diet: A Comprehensive Guide to Meal Planning & Macros - 11 April 2023
- Vegan Keto Sushi Roll - 25 February 2023
- Vegan Mushroom Tomato Pasta [One Pot] - 18 February 2023