These Healthy Vegan Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffins are the perfect delicious and healthy breakfast, snack or just a treat for someone who is busy but wants to get back on track and have healthy eating patterns! These are packed with protein, fiber, healthy fats, and complex carbohydrates. They will release energy slowly and will keep your blood pressure spikes in check. Just perfect!
If you are like me and have breakfast on the go – then this recipe is for you. Yes, you can stop at Starbucks and get a muffin and coffee, but the chances are that the muffins on there are packed with refined sugar and refined oils like palm oil, then you are really better off making a batch of these blueberry muffins.
It’s important to have breakfast and start the day on the right track.
I know that there are a lot of people who don’t eat breakfast, but if you break the night fast and give your body something healthy and nutritious, your body will thank you. Not to mention that if you have a healthy breakfast, you will set the right tone for the day!
Find out more in our article about why it’s good to eat breakfast – why it’s important to eat breakfast.
These amazing healthy blueberries combined with a blueberry bliss tropical smoothie and you are in for a winning breakfast!
Now I used frozen blueberries because of two reasons:
1. They are cheap
2. They color the muffins beautifully with their dark blue color!
3. They are just as healthy as fresh blueberries!
Also, I found that using chunky blueberries doesn’t work that well, because they ‘bleed’ too much inside and make them a bit too moist, so when I did another batch I used a lot smaller blueberries or simply chopped up the chunky ones!
Obviously, if you are using fresh blueberries, they won’t bleed as much, but make sure you dice them up a bit if they are too big.
More Muffin Recipes:
Do let me know how you found this Healthy Vegan Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffins recipe if you do try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Healthy Vegan Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffins
- Wet Ingredients:
- 3 medium very ripe bananas (or 1 cup mashed)
- ¼ cup/ 56g of avocado oil or coconut oil
- ¼ cup/ 55g of coconut sugar or light brown soft sugar
- 2 tbps of flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups/ 185g gluten-free oat flour – if using homemade oat flour make sure it’s very finely ground (not coarse)
- ¾ cup/100g of almond meal
- ¾ teaspoon of gluten-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup/ 150g of fresh or frozen small/diced blueberries washed and dried if you use fresh.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180C. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffin liners.
- Mix together the 2 tablespoons of ground flax + 5 tablespoons water, whisk together, set for 15 mins if you have whole linseeds, simply blend them in a high-speed blender until finely ground and there you have it - flaxseed!
- Add peeled bananas to a large mixing bowl. Using a sturdy whisk or pastry cutter, mash bananas until smooth. Add the oil, sugar, flax egg, and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add oat flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the wet ingredients.
- Whisk together until just incorporated, making sure no flour patches remain. Fold in blueberries.
- Fill 10 muffin liners all the way to the top with the dough.
- Bake for 22-30 minutes. Mine took 26 minutes. Allow them to cool for about 1 hour. Lift out and enjoy them!