How To Make Restaurant Style Pickled Red Onions – A recipe I learned how to do whilst working as a chef.
Red onions are pickled the right way with homemade spiced pickling liqueur.
One of my little restaurant secrets has gone loose. Today I am sharing a restaurant-style pickled red onions recipe.
I got inspired to share this recipe because I recently tried fermented carrots, and I couldn’t get enough of them!
Now, I love pickled red onions, I could literally just eat them out of the jar on their own. I thought that it was time for me to share my secret pickled red onion recipe.
Now, I see a lot of recipes out there for like how to make pickled red onions in 5 minutes…and all those cheat ways to make them which by no means is a bad thing.
However, If you put more love into something and a bit more time, it’s always so much more worth it.
The recipe I am going to show you today doesn’t take hours to make, but only 45 minutes to an hour.
But trust me, once you try this recipe, you won’t go back to these quick 5-minute recipes to make pickled onions again.
Are Pickled Red Onions Healthy:
Hell yeah! They are incredibly healthy for your gut bacteria. Also – bonus, they make every food taste pretty darn amazing, so get yourself some pickled onions, because you need them in your life!
How To Store The Red Onions once pickled:
Now, I like to keep mine in a fridge, sealed nicely in a jar. Once refrigerated, I use them regularly on different meals, but if by any chance they last until week 3, I will get rid of them and make a new batch.
So 3 weeks in the fridge is the max for me.
Do let me know how you found my recipe on How To Make Restaurant Style Pickled Red Onions if you do try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
How To Make Restaurant Style Pickled Red Onions
- For The Pickling Liqueur:
- 1 cup/220ml of white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup/110ml water
- 1/2 cup/100g sugar
- 2 star anise
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/4 tsp of fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp of coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp of peppercorns
- For The Onions:
- 2 Medium-Sized Red Onions
- Add all ingredients for the pickle in a pan and mix.
- Bring the pan to the boil, then turn off the heat ( make sure the sugar is dissolved) then cover the pan and leave to infuse for 20 minutes before using the pickling liquier.
- Meanwhile, slice the red onions - not too thin, or too thick.
- Add the sliced onions to a jar and pour the cooled infused pickling liqueur to cover them.
- Put the jar in the fridge. They will be ready for consumption the next day.