If you are looking for an extra filling breakfast or lunch – you gotta try this Loaded Vegan Bacon Sandwich! This BLT without bacon is made with tofu. I kept this vegan bacon sandwich simple – I only used a touch of mayonnaise, the tofu bacon, and some deliciously ripe avocado! I didn’t get to use my homemade mayonnaise, but instead, I used Hellman’s Vegan Mayonaisse which I highly recommend!
To keep this recipe oil-free simply use an alternative to mayonnaise, tahini or harissa would do great!
If you love a good sandwich, then this recipe is a must!
How To Make This Vegan Bacon Sandwich:
We slice extra firm tofu thinly, then we marinate in soy sauce ( or tamari for a GF option ), tomato puree, maple syrup, liquid smoke, smoked paprika, and a bit of pepper.
We leave that to marinate for about an hour. Meanwhile, we line a baking tray with parchment paper and pre-heat the oven.
Then we place the marinated tofu on the sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes at 375F/190C.
Then we assemble the sandwich. Job done.
I did serve this vegan bacon sandwich with some homemade carrot fries, which completed the meal!
I suppose once you look at the image below, you would think “that’s proper vegan food porn” and believe me, it is. Properly loaded that vegan BLT. It did fill me up for the whole day, but it was totally worth it.
Anyway! Do let me know how you found this Loaded Vegan Bacon Sandwich if you try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Loaded Vegan Bacon Sandwich
- For The Vegan Tofu Bacon:
- 14 oz /400g/1 whole extra firm tofu thinly sliced length-ways
- 2 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce or tamari sauce for a GF option
- 1 tbsp tomato puree/paste
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or molasses/black treacle
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke optional for extra smokiness
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- For the sandwich:
- 4 slices of bread gluten-free or regular
- 2 tbsp of vegan mayo
- 1 medium sized avocado
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C.
- Place the tofu slices in a deep dish.Mix together the soy, paprika, tomato purée, maple, and liquid smoke ( optional ). Pour the marinade onto the tofu slices and marinate in the fridge for 1 hour. I left it overnight, once and it was even better!
- Spread the tofu slices on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins. Bake them 5 minutes longer for extra crispiness. Once baked, I leave them to cool down for 5-10 minutes to firm up.
- Then assemble your sandwiches by spreading some vegan mayo on the bread and layring half the bacon slices per portion (to make 2 sandwiches) finish with sliced avocado and top with a second slice of bread.
More Sandwich Recipes:
1.10-Minute Vegan Egg Mayo Sandwich
2.Healthy Crispy Eggplant Sandwich With Creamy Spread
3.Easy Vegan Sweetcorn Tuna Sandwich
- Building Muscle on a Vegan Diet: A Comprehensive Guide to Meal Planning & Macros - 11 April 2023
- Vegan Keto Sushi Roll - 25 February 2023
- Vegan Mushroom Tomato Pasta [One Pot] - 18 February 2023