An irresistible No-Waste Roasted Squash With Walnut Puree! Served with fresh rocket, this dish makes the perfect side dish for the dinner table.
The walnut puree packs a punch and brings the whole dish together.
In this dish, roasted squash and the lovely flavoring ingredients are cooked up in the oven, then blitzed to perfection for a nice rich spread. No waste in this recipe, as we use the peelings of the squash to make the puree.
Recently, I have been really invested in no-waste living. I just think it’s absolutely amazing, using everything you got, and make the most of what you are given. There is always a way of preparing the vegetable bits we don’t seem to like into delicious goodness. And that’s exactly what I have done here.
Here are some fun ideas for serving this dish with:
- Served warm alongside some sticky black sesame tofu
- Chill in the fridge, toss in some chickpeas and take it with you for lunch at work.
- Stir in your favorite protein to make it a full meal.
How do you like to eat your butternut squash? I like making soups out of it too!
Do let me know how you found these No-Waste Roasted Squash With Walnut Puree if you do try them though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
No-Waste Roasted Squash With Walnut Puree
- 1 kg of butternut squash about two cups
- 1 medium white onion halved and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves peeled left whole
- 1 medium red hot chilli deseeded and roughly diced
- a large spring of thyme or rosemary leaves picked from the stems
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 cup/100g of walnuts
- 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp of salt + black pepper to taste
- 2 handfuls of fresh rockets to serve
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C/Fan 170c/ Gas 5.
- Cut the squash in half. Scoop off the seeds from both halves, then remove the peel, and safe half of it.
- Cut the squash into wedges about 3cm wide at the outer edge. Put them onto a large roasting tray.
- Scatter the onion over the squash, followed by the garlic, chili, and rosemary. Trickle the oil all over, season with the salt and pepper, and toss everything together.
- Roast in the oven for about 40 minutes. Scatter the walnuts on top, then return in the oven for 8 more minutes.
- Add the kept squash peeling, the walnuts, the roasted chilies, garlic, and half the onion onto a food processor. Add the balsamic vinegar then blitz until a coarse puree.
- To serve, dollop the walnut/squash puree, followed by the roasted squash wedges, and top with the fresh rocket. Enjoy.
- Building Muscle on a Vegan Diet: A Comprehensive Guide to Meal Planning & Macros - 11 April 2023
- Vegan Keto Sushi Roll - 25 February 2023
- Vegan Mushroom Tomato Pasta [One Pot] - 18 February 2023