These Oil-Free & GF Vegan Quinoa Falafelare healthier (but no less delicious) take on falafel! This quinoa falafel is baked instead of fried and stuffed into pita loaves with creamy hummus and your favorite veggies.
Falafel is one of my favorite foods of all time. Okay, fine, I know I’ve probably said that about half a dozen dishes on this blog by now. That’s why I say “one of.” I’ve got lots. Falafel is definitely one of my top ten.
The first time I tasted falafel was a couple of years back and I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. Amazing how just a few years prior I was totally unaware of the existence of this amazing treat, only later to find an average of four falafel joints located within every one block radius.
This falafel is baked instead of fried, which, along with the quinoa, ups the healthiness of this recipe. It’s also Gluten-Free , oil-free, and almost completely fat-free!
I dressed my sandwiches with some roasted red pepper hummus, which worked out perfectly. You can use traditional hummus instead, but if you feel like something extra special, give the red pepper stuff a go. It really compliments the falafel nicely.
How To Make Quinoa Falafel?
The quinoa is cooked first, then it’s added to a food processor, with onion, chickpeas, and a couple more ingredients. The mix is shaped into balls, then baked. Easy peasy!
The second time I made this falafel, I simply topped them on my salad…with hummus of course!
Shall we give this yummy and healthy falafel a go?
Do let me know how you found these Oil-Free & GF Vegan Quinoa Falafel though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Recipe makes 12-14 mini falafels
Oil-Free & GF Vegan Quinoa Falafel
- For the Falafel:
- 1/3 cup/60g uncooked quinoa
- 150 ml ofl vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup/135g cooked or canned chickpeas drained
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 bunch of chopped fresh cilantro/coriander
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To Serve:
- 2 pitas cut in half
- Hummus and/or tahini
- Greens/veggies tomato, cucumber, and/or onion slices
- Rinse the quinoa well under cold water, then place it in a small saucepan, along with the broth. Place over high heat and bring the liquid to a simmer. Cover, lower heat and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes, or until all of the liquid is absorbed. Remove the pot from heat and allow it to sit for another five minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the cooked quinoa and all other falafel ingredients into the food processor bowl. Pulse until well blended, taste test, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the falafel mixture from the food processor and roll into 1-inch balls (makes about 12-16 of them). Arrange on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Stuff into pita halves, and dress with hummus and veggies. Enjoy!