Oil-Free Vegan Eggplant Parmigiana – An absolute classic, made Vegan + made that little bit healthier by using a few clever tricks. It’s high in protein, low in calories, and simply delicious!
Eggplant Parmigiana has always been my favorite Italian dish to eat. SO I really wanted to organize it and eat it again! I used creamy cashew cream to replace the mozzarella, and I also made this recipe oil-free! Oh this recipe is gluten-free too!
Ideally, you would need to soak the cashew nuts for a couple of hours before blending them, but if in a rush, 5 minutes in hot water should also do the trick. It just might not be as creamy.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. This is a favorite comfort recipe in my household.
Anyway! Do let me know how you found these Oil-Free Vegan Eggplant Parmigiana if you do try them though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Oil-Free Vegan Eggplant Parmigiana
- 2 large eggplants sliced into 1/2cm-thick slices lengthways
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- basil a large bunch
- 1 tsp of oregano
- salt & pepper
- Cashew cream:
- 1 + 2/3 cups/ Cashew nuts/200g
- 200 ml Dairy-free milk (I used almond milk)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Salt
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Put the eggplant slices onto baking paper-lined trays. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping halfway until softened and crisping at the edges.
- Meanwhile, heat a couple of tablespoon of water l in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic for 10 minutes until soft, then add the chopped tomatoes, season with some salt and pepper + the oregano, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring a few times. Take off the heat.
- While the tomatoes are cooking, make the cashew cream:
- Soak cashew nuts in hot water for 5 minutes. Then strain them.
- Add soaked cashew, dairy-free milk, garlic, nutritional yeast, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to a high-power blender and blend them until smooth & creamy.
- When the eggplant, cashew cream, and tomato sauce are ready it's time to assemble.
- In a roughly 20cm x 30cm baking dish, layer up some slices of eggplant to cover the bottom of the dish, and add a bit of the tomato sauce. Add another layer of eggplant + tomato sauce, then add half of the cashew cream. Add basil leaves, then repeat with the rest of the ingredients, finishing with cashew cream and basil.
- Put the baking dish back in the oven at the same temperature and bake for another 30 minutes.