These Parsnip And Sweet Potato Bites are so delicious and quick to make.
I poached the bites in water first before pan-frying them to make them a bit chewer!
You can eat them in many ways; as a quick snack, put them in a salad, put them in your buddha bowl, or stuff them inside a pitta bread with some hummus and vegetables!
How To Make Parsnip And Sweet Potato Bites:
You will need the following ingredients:
2. Sweet Potatoes
3. Plain Flour
5. Dried Herbs, pepper, and salt
5. Flax Egg
I am not gonna lie, this recipe was supposed to be a vegan gnocchi recipe, hence why there was a poaching process involved. However, this recipe quickly turned into sweet potato and parsnip bites instead of gnocchi, haha!
They turned out great, that is why I am sharing the recipe with you. A recipe made in error that turned great!
The parsnips and sweet potatoes are roasted, then mashed and the rest of the ingredients are added. Balls are shaped out of the dough, then poached in boiling water. This helps the bites to become chewy.
After that, they are pan-fried until crispy.
To make the “flax-egg”
Combine a tablespoon of ground flaxseed or linseeds with 3 tablespoons of water, stir to combine, and let stand for 5 minutes to thicken. Ground flaxseed emulates eggs’ binding qualities in bread, cakes, muffins, cookies, burgers, and vegan meatballs. It’s the vegan substitute for an egg.
Makes about 15 bites
300g of sweet potatoes
300g of parsnips
60g of plain flour
4 cloves of unpeeled garlic
1 tablespoon of dried mixed herbs
2 tablespoons of flaxseed or linseeds ( see above )
1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
2 tbsp of olive oil for frying
Preheat oven to 200c
Bring a deep pan of water to a boil.
1. Peel and dice the sweet potatoes and parsnips and put them in an oiled baking tray.
Add the herbs, the black pepper, and the garlic cloves and mix, then bake in the oven for about 30 minutes. Or until soft enough to mash.
2. Transfer the sweet potatoes and the parsnips to a mixing bowl and squeeze the garlic cloves out of their peel and add them to the bowl. Add the flour, and flax egg too.
3. Using a masher, mash everything as fine as possible. Shape the mixture into balls, and drop them in the boiling water. Once they float on the top, they are ready. Take them out and leave them to dry for a bit, then pan-fry them until golden.
Enjoy these Parsnip And Sweet Potato Bites hot or cold!
More Vegan Sweet Potato Recipes:
—> Healthy Sweet Potato Brownies
—> Baked Sweet Potatoes With Crispy Chickpeas and Tahini
–> Easy Lentil Stew With Sweet Mash Potatoes
Anyway! Do let me know how you found these Vegan chewy and crispy root vegetable bites if you try them though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
- Building Muscle on a Vegan Diet: A Comprehensive Guide to Meal Planning & Macros - 11 April 2023
- Vegan Keto Sushi Roll - 25 February 2023
- Vegan Mushroom Tomato Pasta [One Pot] - 18 February 2023