These yummy crispy Pitta Bread Chips can be enjoyed to dip into hummus, tzatziki, guacamole, and many other dips! They are super easy and quick to make.
Use Wholemeal pita bread to make it all a little extra healthy!
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 wholemeal large pita bread with pockets or 2 without a pocket.
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 220C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Using a pastry brush, brush about 1 tablespoon of the oil over parchment or mat. Set aside.
- Split the pitas if they have pockets: If you have thick, single-layer pitas or pocketless pitas or flatbread, skip this step. If your pitas have pockets, place them flat on your work surface and split them in half with a sharp knife to make 2 single-layer rounds.
- Cut the pitas into 8 wedges: Place the pitas on a work surface. With a sharp knife, cut each as you would cut a pizza — in half, and then in half again, and finally in half again to make 8 triangular wedges. You will have 16 wedges. Set aside.
- With the pastry brush, brush each wedge with oil on both sides — to coat, but not to soak. If you are using thinner pita, use 1 tablespoon; if you are using thicker pitas, use 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Sprinkle both sides of each wedge with the salt and the pepper.
- For thick pita bread, arrange the wedges on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 5 minutes. Remove the tray from the oven, carefully turn the chips over, and return to the oven to bake until completely crisp and as golden-brown as you like, another 5 to 8 minutes.If you are using thin pita, reduce the oven temperature to 190C and bake for 7 minutes. Remove the tray from the oven, carefully turn the chips over, and return to the oven to bake until completely crisp and as golden-brown as you like, another 7 to 11 minutes.