Soy Chilli & Ginger Eggplant Steak that can be either grilled or fried. Perfect for the sunny days!
I love eggplant, always have. It can come across quite blant, however, when I was training as a chef, I was told that eggplant is basically a sponge, so you need to flavour it!
That is why in this recipe we have marinated the eggplant steaks before cooking.
To have the perfect eggplant steaks use a large straight eggplant if possible. Cut the edges of the eggplant, (both sides) then cut in half lengthways for a perfect thick steak – check out the image below:
After you have cut the edges, you cut across the middle!
Anyway! Do let me know how you found this Soy Chilli & Ginger Eggplant Steak recipe if you try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Soy Chilli & Ginger Eggplant Steak
- 1 large eggplant cut as shown in the pictures
- Marinade ingredients:
- 1/2 cup/110ml of Dark soy sauce
- 2 limes zested & juiced
- 1 red chili sliced
- 2 tbsp of minced fresh ginger
- If frying the steaks
- 1-2 springs of thyme
- 2-3 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp of vegan butter
- Cut the eggplant as shown in the pictures above - 1 eggplant will produce 2 thick steaks.
- Add the eggplant steaks to a freezer bag and add the marinade ingredients.
- Shake the bag gently to ensure the marinade is evenly spread. Refrigerate for 1-hour minimum.
- If grilling, heat the grill and grill the steaks for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- If frying, heat oil in a pan, then add the steaks, together with the thyme and garlic fry them for 1 minute, then add the butter and using a spoon, take some of the juices in the pan and pour them on top of the steaks. Fry for another 4-5 minutes then serve!