Oh these Spinach & Ricotta Stuffed Vegan Potato Cakes are simply-to-die-for! They are crispy, filling, creamy, and oh, especially when you pair them with a dipping sauce!
These Spinach & Ricotta Stuffed Vegan Potato Cakes require only basic ingredients:
3. Vegan Cream Cheese/ricotta
5. Few herbs and spices
These potato cakes are also perfect to dip into sauces and hummus, or just to have as a snack. They travel well too, so perfect to take them in your lunch box for work.
You can stuff these potato cakes with basically any filling you fancy. It doesn’t have to be vegan cream cheese and spinach. You can do curried potato, dhal, tomato sauce and so much more. Let your creativity go wild.
I used a homemade vegan version of the cream cheese, but you can always buy vegan alternatives from the shop. Roll the dough thin enough, then cut it and fill it. It’s simple, once you started doing it, and so much fun!
More Vegan Recipes:
Do let me know how you found this homemade baked bread recipe if you try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
The recipe makes about 8 cakes Each cake contains approximately 200 calories (if you use my ricotta recipe)
Spinach & Ricotta Stuffed Vegan Potato Cakes
- For the dough:
- 3 medium sized potatoes about 420g total
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of fresh or dry parsley
- 2 cups/256g of flour or oat flour
- 3 cups of fresh spinach or half the amount of frozen spinach
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons of my easy 5-ingredient Garlic & Herb Ricotta Or just use shop-bought. see recipe here
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1-2 tablespoon of olive oil for cooking the cakes ⠀
- Cook the potatoes in salted water until soft. Strain them, then mash them with a fork, add salt, olive oil, parsley, and the flour and knead a non-sticky dough
- For the filling add olive oil to a pan, fry garlic for 30 seconds, add spinach, season it and cook covered for 3 mins. When cooled add the cream cheese/vegan ricotta and mix together
- Roll out the dough on a flour-dusted surface to about 1 cm thick. Cut out round shapes, put about 1 tsp of filling per cake and pinch close with another patty
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to a pan add the cakes, cover, and cook covered on very low flame for about 5 mins. Flip and cook for another 5 mins.
- Serve with a sauce, hummus, with salad, or just eat them on their own!!
- This is an ideal recipe for leftover mashed potatoes. Even if you mash them with the skins (which we often do) with added fresh garlic, they still make delicious potato cakes.
- If desired, you can steam the potatoes rather than boil them. Just be sure they are soft enough to mash easily.
- Store the cooled leftover cakes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven.
- They freeze well too, for up to a month.