This Vegan BBQ Pulled Eggplant is incredible! It’s easy to make, it’s made out of vegetables and spiced as you would pork. Can be used as a taco filling, sandwiches, as a side – anything you fancy. It’s gluten-free too!
It’s still summer, so the BBQs in the gardens are still rolling. If you are stuck for ideas and need a creative vegan BBQ feast, you have come to the right place!
The basic idea behind a dish like this BBQ Pulled Eggplant is to take advantage of the natural eggplant texture, which allows it to be pulled into long strips, which then soaks up the lovely spices and marinade. Like any great BBQ recipe, this one also takes time. There is no need to marinade the eggplant, we just need to bake it a couple of times.
How To Make BBQ Pulled Eggplant:
Did I mention that this recipe is gluten-free, oil-free, vegan of course, and only requires a handful of cupboard ingredients? – Oh yeah, nothing fancy here!
You will need:
3 big ass eggplants
Vegan BBQ Sauce
The full detailed recipe is below, but the method is pretty simple. If you have about an hour of your time, it will totally be worth it!
It’s perfect for that Vegan BBQ you have been planning on having!
I like to stuff this BBQ pulled eggplant within buns, tacos, on top of salads, you name it. It works any way you like.
Ppst… be sure to check my version of vegan bbq pulled “pork” as well!
Do let me know how you found this Vegan BBQ Pulled Eggplant recipe if you do try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Vegan BBQ Pulled Eggplant
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar can sub for brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder/cayenne
- 1 cup/225g of vegan gluten-free BBQ sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C.
- Place the eggplants on a non-stick baking sheet and prick all over with a fork. Bake for 20 minutes, until the skin is wrinkled. Reduce the oven temperature to 350F/165C.
- Transfer the eggplant to a large bowl and cover. Let cool and sweat for 10-15 minutes, until the skin peels off easily, and they are cool enough to handle.
- Remove the outer skin of the eggplants and start pulling the flesh into long strings.
- Add the pulled eggplant to a bowl, and add all the spices and seasonings except the bbq sauce.
- Mix well, then transfer the pulled eggplant to the baking sheets and bake for 25 minutes.
- Once baked, take out the oven, and drizzle the BBQ sauce on top. Mix well. Return in the oven and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!