These Vegan Broccoli Chickpea Stuffed Flatbreads are so yummy and comforting. Everything made from scratch, no yeast needed, just make the dough, roll, fill and cook!
These stuffed flatbreads have shredded broccoli and chickpeas with spices stuffed into a wheat dough. You can use other cooked beans or lentils of choice and other spices of choice for many variations. The process of making the dough and rolling it out seems tedious, but it gets easy with practice.
But if you don’t want to faff around stuffing then folding the flatbreads, you can also add the veggies directly in the dough while kneading. Then flatten them, and cook them the same way!
If you like bready-food, you will love these!
They have this delicious bready-taste, but at the same time, they have got hidden healthy stuff in them ( literally stuffed in them ) that you won’t even notice, because you will be so busy chewing on the comforting dough, and perhaps even dipping it in a flavorsome dip!
They are also filling, and do not contain many calories!
Do let me know how you found this Vegan Broccoli Chickpea Stuffed Flatbreads recipe if you try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Vegan Broccoli Chickpea Stuffed Flatbreads
- For the dough:
- 1 cup 120 g whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup 62.5 g all-purpose flour
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black onion seeds or mustard seeds
- 2-3 tsp oil
- 1/4 cup 59.15 ml aquafaba liquid from a can of chickpeas, or use dairy-free milk
- 2-3 tablespoons of water
- Broccoli chickpea filling:
- 1 medium head of broccoli
- 1/2 cup/84g cooked chickpeas I used from a can
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/3 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 inch ginger minced
- Make the dough: In a bowl, mix the flours, salt, seeds, and mix well. Add the oil and aquafaba and mix it in. Add water 2 tbsp at a time till the mixture start to come together. Continue to mix for another minute. Then use your hands to form a soft dough (slightly sticky is ok). Let the dough sit covered for 5 mins.
- Make the filling: Pulse the broccoli in a food processor for a few seconds, then add in the rest of the ingredients under the filling section of the ingredient list and pulse until the mixture is even and does not have any large pieces. Scoop the mixture into your hand and form 1 to 1.5 inch somewhat balls (crumbly is ok) and set aside. if the mixture is too moist, toast in a skillet for 2-3 minutes and then form balls.
- Make the flatbreads: Divide the dough into 5 to 7 balls. roll out each ball using some flour into a 5+ inch somewhat circle.
- Place a filling ball in the center of the rolled out flatbread. Fold the flatbread over the ball and press to seal (like a parcel (pasty).
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot. Place a stuffed flatbread on the skillet. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for 1-2 minutes. Spray or brush a little oil and continue to cook until both sides have brown spots. Repeat for all the stuffed flatbreads.