These Vegan Cheesy Bolognese Stuffed Zucchini are hot, juicy topped with cheesy cashew cream and baked to perfection! The delicious recipe can also be made oil-free and is naturally gluten-free if you use tamari sauce instead of soy sauce!
This simple stuffed zucchini recipe is a hearty vegan spaghetti bolognese alternative made with walnuts, zucchini, and lentils for a super satisfying, high protein, and deliciously textured bolognese. And it’s topped with delicious vegan cheese, made out of cashew nuts!
This stuffed zucchini recipe is also lower in carbs! So, if you are watching your carbs for whatever reason, this is a great recipe to try!
I personally love zucchini, I grew up eating fried zucchini dipped in garlic yogurt, now, of course, I am enjoying them dipped in dairy-free yogurt, but the taste still reminds me of my childhood.
Oh, you have also got to try my zucchini hummus recipe!
Zucchinis are amazing, they are super versatile, you have salads with them, you can use them as a low-carb pasta substitute (zoodles), you can make fritters…I mean the options of using zucchinis are endless.
Anyway! Do let me know how you found these Vegan Cheesy Bolognese Stuffed Zucchini if you try them though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
More Vegan Recipes:
Vegan Cheesy Bolognese Stuffed Zucchini
- 4 long zucchini cut lengthways, and the flesh scooped out from the middle
- For the bolognese:
- 1/2 cup/ 50g Walnuts Finely Chopped
- The scooped flesh of the zucchini - chopped
- 1/2 15 oz/215g Can Brown Lentils Drained
- 1 medium-sized onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil or oil for an oil-free option
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce or use tamari sauce for GF option
- 1/4 cup/ 65gTomato Paste
- 1/2 14 oz 200ml Can chopped tomatoes or fresh diced tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- For the cashew cream:
- 2/3 cup/ Cashew nuts/100g cashews soaked in hot water for at least 10 minutes.
- 1/2 cup/118 Dairy-free milk (I used almond milk)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C/Gas 5.
- Soak the cashew nuts in hot water. Prepare the zucchinis as stated in the recipe's ingredients, making sure you are careful when you scoop out the flesh from the zucchini.
- To prepare the bolognese:
- Finely chop the zucchini flesh and the walnuts, then add them to a mixing bowl.
- Add the drained lentils to the mixing bowl.
- Mix up the walnuts, zucchini flesh, and lentils together.
- Add the chopped onion and olive oil (or water) to a frying pan and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Then add in your /walnut/zucchini/lentil mix along with crushed garlic, dried basil, oregano, cayenne pepper, and dark soy sauce and stir fry for a couple of minutes letting the bolognese cook off some of the water, so it’s not too wet.
- Then add in the tomato paste and crushed tomatoes and keep frying for a few minutes until you reach a good consistency. About 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the cashew cream:
- Add soaked cashew(drained), dairy-free milk, garlic, nutritional yeast, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to a high-power blender and blend them until smooth.
- To Assemble:
- Put the zucchini boats on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and fill them with the bolognese, (do not overfill them, as we need space for the cashew cream)
- Dollop the cashew cream on top of the bolognese-stuffed zucchini boats.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until brown and bubbly.
- Serve with a salad and enjoy 🙂
Leftover bolognese sauce can be eaten the next day with some pasta for a spaghetti bolognese dinner!