This Vegan Creamy Wild Rice & Vegetable Stew is creamy, made in one pot, and perfect for a weeknight meal! It’s so comforting, filling, and incredibly easy to make.
To say I loved this stew would be an understatement. I loved using mushrooms to “beef up” the stew, and they added such a delicious umami flavor to the stew itself. The rice is delicious in every bite and adds a beautiful texture. Plus, it’s so pretty, right?!
Mushroom Wild Rice Stew Tips:
If you’re making this – I would recommend using only wild rice. I saw lots of wild rice blends, but they will definitely cook at a different time than what I’m recommending and might result in soggy or mushy rice. I’ll add a few tips down below so you can customize it for your own taste. But another top tip is if you want your stew to be thicker, you can stir in another tablespoon or two of flour. Add in a little hot broth into a ramekin to blend it out first, then add it to the stew, mixing vigorously. If you want your soup thinner, add that extra ½ cup liquid in the ingredients.
Just be aware, that wild rice cooks slowly! It’s nothing like any other rice, hence the reason why there is such a long-simmering for this stew. You can let it cook, and get on with your bits in the house, just make sure you check it every 15 minutes to stir it and check whether you may need to add more broth/water.
SHOP FOR EQUIPMENT FOR THIS RECIPE:
Don’t have the needed equipment to make this recipe? Don’t worry, I got you covered!
I have linked you below with all the equipment you may need for this recipe, so that will save you the time to look for them!
1. Sauce Pan
2. Chopping Board
Do let me know how you found this Vegan Creamy Wild Rice & Vegetable Stew if you do try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Also, I would really appreciate it if you check out my very first E-Book, it’s a 70-page book, full of beautiful, easy, and delicious vegan recipes! Click HERE to find out more!
Vegan Creamy Wild Rice & Vegetable Stew
- 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil or vegan butter
- 2 medium sized carrots finely diced
- 3 stalks celery chopped and bottoms removed
- 1 large red onion finely diced
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons flour*
- 1 cup/230g Wild rice
- 5 ½ to 6 cups Vegetable broth* you may need more, if the broth steams out too quckly a
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon of fresh or dry Thyme
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- black pepper
- 1 cup/245g/9 ounces coconut milk or almond milk
- * crusty bread to serve
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add the oil or vegan butter. Add in the carrots, celery, onions, garlic and mushrooms, and sauté for 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over, and stir to combine. Add in the wild rice, vegetable broth, dried oregano, and fresh thyme. Season generously with sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Bring everything to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 50 to 60 minutes, until the wild rice is completely fluffed up and cooked through. Stir in the coconut milk or almond milk, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes to heat through. Taste and season with sea salt and black pepper again. Remove from stove and serve alongside some bread. Enjoy!
- If you want your stew to be thicker, you can stir in another tablespoon or two of flour. Add in a little hot broth into a ramekin to blend it out first, then add it to the soup, mixing vigorously. If you want your stew thinner, add that extra ½ cup liquid in the ingredients.
- I used gluten-free flour. But you can use regular flour if you’re not gluten-free.
- You can increase the servings of anything apart from the rice.
- This recipe can easily be doubled.
- For the coconut milk, you can use canned OR boxed. I have tried both and they are both amazing. If you’re not concerned about calories, I would highly recommend the canned for that extra creaminess that it adds.
- Building Muscle on a Vegan Diet: A Comprehensive Guide to Meal Planning & Macros - 11 April 2023
- Vegan Keto Sushi Roll - 25 February 2023
- Vegan Mushroom Tomato Pasta [One Pot] - 18 February 2023