This Vegan Crispy Tofu Katsu Curry is the perfect veganized solution to the classic katsu curry. It’s incredibly easy to make, as long as you got a couple of spices and a few veggies and a big wooden spoon, and a frying pan!
Now, I absolutely love, love Katsu curry! So I have been craving it for a while, and decided to give it a go!
I know, I know, I have been quite bad recently, adding too many fried food recipes, which are not the healthiest, but man, this winter got me to crave fried comfort food! And I had a really bad craving for katsu curry, so I decided, might as well do it!
This recipe worked so well, that my Omni friends wanted the recipe and the rest of that curry sauce! They said that they never liked tofu, but once trying this dish, they were like Woah! You can definitely make tofu taste great ( yeah, just as long as they don’t know that the secret in this particular recipe was a huge amount of oil ha).
But apart from that, I was quite pleased, at the end of the day, no animal flesh or products were used to make this delicious curry, so might as well indulge in some fried unhealthy foods every once and a while!
Do let me know how you found these Vegan Crispy Tofu Katsu Curry if you do try them though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
♥ Thank you ♥
Vegan Crispy Tofu Katsu Curry
- For the Katsu sauce:
- 1 large onion
- 1 small carrot
- 5 cm piece fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of toasted sesame oil
- 1 1 ⁄2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups/350ml/1/2 pint of vegetable stock
- 1 lemon
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp of medium curry powder
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp cornflour 2 tbsp water
- For the Tofu Steaks:
- 14 oz extra firm tofu sliced into 4 steaks
- 1 1/2 cups/175g plain flour
- 1 ⁄2 tbsp salt
- 1 cup/250ml plant-based milk
- 3 cups/200g panko breadcrumbs or any breadcrumbs you have, best is panko though
- First, make the sauce | Peel and dice the onion | Peel and grate the carrot | Peel and finely grate the ginger and garlic
- Put one pan over medium heat and warm the sesame oil. Add the onions and fry for 3–4 minutes, stirring. Add the carrot and olive oil and stir for 5–6 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and stir for 2 minutes
- Add the soy sauce and curry powder and stir for 2 minutes, then transfer to the blender along with the vegetable stock. Blend. Pour back into the pan and return to medium heat.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice of half into the pan, catching any pips with your other hand. Sprinkle over the garam masala and sugar and stir. Reduce the heat to low. Taste and add more salt and lemon if required.
- Put the cornflour and water into a small dish and mix together with a fork | Pour into the pan and stir to thicken. And the sauce is done!
- Now make the batter. Put the flour, salt and milk into a mixing bowl and whisk to a smooth batter. Pour the breadcrumbs into a separate bowl. Tip the tofu into the batter and toss to cover. Pick out one slice and roll it around in the breadcrumbs, covering it completely.
- Repeat to coat all the slices. Fry the tofu using a heated frying pan with oil until golden brown on both sides.
- Now serve the tofu steaks alongside the katsu sauce and sides of choice. Enjoy! 🙂
- Building Muscle on a Vegan Diet: A Comprehensive Guide to Meal Planning & Macros - 11 April 2023
- Vegan Keto Sushi Roll - 25 February 2023
- Vegan Mushroom Tomato Pasta [One Pot] - 18 February 2023