This Vegan Egg Fried Rice, tofu, is the ultimate comfort food. It’s not so difficult to make, and it tastes just like the real thing! It’s bursting with flavor and deliciousness.
I am not gonna lie, I love a good Chinese takeaway. But as vegans, it’s a bit harder to order vegan-friendly from your usual takeouts. So I made my own vegan egg-fried rice.
Tofu egg fried rice can be made using ‘Just Egg’ or “follow your heart egg” for a quicker version, but I like to make thins from scratch. So I made a tofu scramble, and this is basically our ‘egg’ in this recipe.
Follow your heart vegan egg fried rice or tofu fried rice, can be adjusted to your liking; you can add all sorts of veggies you like, I used peas, pepper, onion, and carrot. Also, if you are not a huge fan of sweet-savory dishes, simply leave the hoisin sauce out and add extra soy sauce 🙂
I like to eat this dish as a main, however, you can easily use it as a garnish to many other dishes; I recommend these:
This recipe can be done in under 30 minutes, making it the perfect weeknight dinner. It can also be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to a month!
Nothing beats good egg-fried rice, especially if it’s done vegan. You shouldn’t miss out on anything as a vegan, anything that is not vegan can be made vegan, remember that!
Anyway I hope you like this recipe! Do let me know how you found thi Vegan Egg Fried Rice recipe if you do try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Vegan Egg Fried Rice
- For the fried rice:
- 1/4 carrot peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup/65g of frozen peas
- 1/4 pepper chopped
- Half an onion chopped
- 2 gloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup/90g of Uncooked rice cooked per packet instructions and set aside
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of sesame oil optional
- For the vegan egg scramble
- 8 oz/220g Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Black Salt Kala Namak*
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/3 cup 80ml Soy Milk or any dairy-free milk
- First prepare the tofu egg:
- Mash the tofu with a fork but leave some nice big chunks.
- Add the nutritional yeast, turmeric, paprika, dijon mustard, garlic powder, and onion powder to a bowl. Then add the soy milk and whisk it in so you have a nice sauce.
- Add the vegan butter to a frying pan and heat until hot. Add the tofu and fry it until lightly browned, being careful not to break it up too much when moving it around the pan.
- Add the sauce and fold it in. Fry it until you’ve achieved the desired consistency, the tofu will absorb the sauce so you can have it as wet or as dry as you like. Just before the end - add the black salt. In that way, you won’t lose its eggy flavor. Set aside once cooked.
- For the fried rice:
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan or a wok.
- Add the onions and garlic and fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the rest of the veggies and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the cooked (drained) rice, the soy sauce and housin and cook for another minute. Add the tofu scamble, mix well and serve drizzled with the sesame oil.