Vegan Hearty Green Bean Potato Stew – that’s packed full of flavor, it’s the ultimate comfort food. The stew has plenty of spices and vegetables in it.
I grew up eating loads of potatoes. We always had potatoes in the house, so a lot of potatoes were cooked. Green beans were grown by my grandmother in the garden, so she used to make a hearty green bean and potato stew.
Today, I have replicated this traditional recipe and made it better & healthier.
In one serving of this stew, you get 3 out of your 5 a day. It’s a bowl full of comfort and goodness. I used the whole seed of the spices, toasted them, and ground them myself. A lot more flavor is released and it’s so much better grinding your own spices. If you can spare the extra effort to do it yourself, you won’t regret it.
How To Make Green Bean Potato Stew:
You will only need several simple ingredients and loads of spices!
Toast the spice seeds for 1 minute. Be careful not to burn them. Grind them afterward using a pestle and mortar together with the rock salt, paprika, chili powder. Heat the 2 tbsp of olive oil in a deep pan, then add the garlic and onion. Cook for 4/5 minutes until translucent.
Add the tomato paste and spices, then cook for another 2 minutes.
Add all the rest of the veggies and cook everything for 2 more minutes, then add the stock, bay leaves, and thyme.
Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Simmer for about 27 minutes until the potatoes are fork-tender. Season with salt to taste. When the stew is done, remove tree bay leaves and thyme.
More Comfort Vegan Recipes:
Do let me know how you found this Vegan Hearty Green Bean Potato Stew recipe if you try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Vegan Hearty Green Bean Potato Stew
- For The Spices:
- 1 tbsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp of coriander seeds
- 3 cardamom seeds crushed
- 1 tbsp of paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 pinches of rock salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 strings of thyme
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- The Stew:
- 1/2 brown onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic - minced
- 1/2 carrot - sliced
- 2 medium sized juicy tomatoes - chopped
- 1 cup/150g of green beans trimmer and diced
- 9 baby potatoes halved
- 500 ml of vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of rock salt or to taste
- Toast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, & cardamom seeds for 1 minute. Be careful not to burn them.
- Ground them afterwards using a pestle and mortar together with the rock salt, paprika, and chili powder.
- Heat the 2 tbsp of olive oil in a deep pan, then add the garlic and onion.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes until translucent.
- Add the tomato paste and spices, then cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add all the rest of the veggies and cook everything for 2 more minutes, then add the stock, bay leaves and thyme.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan.
- Simmer for about 27 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Season with salt to taste.
- When the stew is done, remove the bay leaves and thyme.