Vegan Sushi? And keto? What kind of witchery is this?
Here’s the deal – I fancied sushi so badly, but I had 2 problems; number one, sushi isn’t vegan, and number 2, I am trying to cut down on carbs. So, what do I do? I made my own!
Some may say that this recipe today isn’t sushi, because sushi has rice and fish. You see, I don’t blame you for thinking that, but they hit the spot just right, so I guess they could be called sushi?
Can Vegans Eat Sushi?
Unfortunately not. Traditionally made sushi is not suitable for vegans, mainly due to the fish.
However, that doesn’t mean there aren’t ways to make sushi vegan. You just gotta eliminate the fish basically.
What Can I Use Instead Of Rice For Sushi?
Avocado! Avocado is a great substitute, especially if you are on the keto diet. It will provide the sushi roll with creaminess and it hits the spot just right.
If you are not keto, you can use lentils or quinoa instead of rice.
How To Make Vegan Sushi
You will need the following ingredients:
- English Cucumber
- Smoked Tofu
- Crushed Peanuts
- Soy Sauce
- Sesame Seeds
The cucumber is shaved, then placed flat. The toppings are loaded horizontally, then the cucumber is tightly wrapped and rolled.
Cut the cucumber roll, and dip it in your soy sauce!
More Vegan Recipes:
Anyway! Do let me know how you found this easy healthy vegan keto sushi recipe if you try it though! And if there was anything you tried or something that worked better…Do drop me a comment below, or you can find me/message me directly on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Facebook! I love seeing what my lovely readers think of my recipes!
Vegan Keto Sushi Roll
- 1 large English cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 3-4 slices smoked tofu
- 1 tbsp of chopped peanuts
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce to serve
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds to serve
- Using a peeler, peel long strips from the cucumber and lay them flat next to each other.
- Mash the avocado and spread it horizontally on top of the cucumber slices.
- Do the same with the tofu slices.
- Sprinkle the curshed peanuts on top.
- Firmly wrap and roll the cucumber slices around the avocado and tofu.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top of the roll.
- Slice and serve with the soy sauce.